MV Agusta Forum banner

MV Agusta F4 vs BMW S1000RR, Ducati 1098 Bayliss, Aprilia RSV4 Factory (by Visordown)

14K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Squidly 
#1 ·
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests...ilia-rsv4-factory-and-mv-agusta-f4/12275.html

Anyone could jump on the MV and have fun, well, except George perhaps. The F4’s largely sports focused in terms of its riding position, stiff suspension and rabid engine but it’s forgiving, user-friendly and massively controllable in almost every situation you can throw at it.In terms of handling balance it just strikes a really delicate compromise between flickability and stability which is the number one aim of any chassis engineer worth his salt. MV Agusta has made a bike to suit many people, most of the time.

#8 ·
I own an F4 1000 Senna, a S1000RR as well as a Ducati 999s. Without doubt the S1000RR is the best of the bunch. It is smooth, stable and wickedly fast. I love my Senna and the Ducati but the BMW is so far in front as a complete package that the gap between the 3 bikes is stark - there is no contest.

I will never sell any of my bikes, in particular the Senna. But when I really want to tear up my favorite piece of road I will take the S1000RR. When I want to hear that glorious wail from the Bodis pipes I'll take the Senna. The Ducati - well its just a two wheel version of a big block chev giving you a kick in the butt as it lights up the tires - brutal out of the tight stuff.

Life is good

#13 · (Edited)
Let me preface the following comment with this head line statement:

I AM NOT STARTING CRAP. I AM JUST JOLTING INTERESTING CONVERSATION THAT WILL MORE THAN LIKLEY HOLD DIFFERENT VIEWS WHICH EVERY ADULT ON HERE IS GIVEN. MY INTENTION IS SIMPLY TO STIMULATE CONVERSATION AMONGST RIDERS, NOT TO CALL OUT OR BELITTLE ANYONE OR ANY BIKE.
(it is sad when you have to make that statement in room full of adults, but....)

I hear all of the owners, riders and mags go on about how good the S1000R makes the rider. Is that really true?? the thing is loaded with so many computers all aimed at preventing you from fucking up, not really honing your skill. To me, it is kinda like Iron Man. Yeah, he is a hero, but i really havent seen him do too much outside of the uniform. The current crop of riders have so many anti wheelie this and programed launch that, I find it hard when I hear people say "it makes me a better rider". I, personally, dont think it makes you a better rider, I think it makes you 'look' like a better rider as these systems are cleaning up the slop that ANY rider may make. I dont know, I am not a big fan of 'laptop' automobiles. I liked things when they were simple and you had to do things yourself. I miss two strokes because they taught you timing and patience. Now a days you can ham fist it to the corner, Jam the breaks past your marker because you have ABS and dont have to be too concerned about folding the tire, open the throttle to early because you dont have to be as concerned about tire slidding/highsiding and punch it to the next corner. I think a couple of riders have said that while these electronics are nice for rookies and street riders, sometimes they wish they could just have the direct link between them and the bike without the newly (well not too new) introduced 'fuzzy logic' gate that stands in between them and the machine.
I dont know, I loved my RGV 250, so i got used to being cognizant of when the powervalves hit, so that bounce at 5k on the MV was never really an issue for me (but the heat was/is :-( ). I know this is problaby a jerk statement, but I like to be involved as much as possible with my ride and I think if someone doesnt want to put in the effort to expand themselves and get involved with the WHOLE aspect of riding (Are my tires warm enough, is my suspension not liking this paticular surface, ok, I am coming up on 4k RPM and i know this because of the sound), I think maybe they should be on a different type of bike (I feel like it is competing in sports while on steroids and then saying it is to easy while the legit players are working hard and getting just as good results).
MV is raw.
Thats why I like her.
My next project will not have any unessesary 0's and 1's in it and I am damn sure going to need to be alive and paying attention on that (dont ask for now, I am hoping to be ready to ride it to the 2014 GP in Texas)

Good on BMW for making a phenomonal bike. I am sure it rocks. And I actually like the way it looks from the front (well, there went my creditability :) )

Shame on the companies for trying to take the wheel out of my hand and the throttle from between my fingers.

Keep doing what you do MV. There is still some passion in motorcycling.

Sorry guys
Rant over
And again, this is only single guys opinion

Tree MV

#15 ·
Let me preface the following comment with this head line statement:

I AM NOT STARTING CRAP. I AM JUST JOLTING INTERESTING CONVERSATION THAT WILL MORE THAN LIKLEY HOLD DIFFERENT VIEWS WHICH EVERY ADULT ON HERE IS GIVEN. MY INTENTION IS SIMPLY TO STIMULATE CONVERSATION AMONGST RIDERS, NOT TO CALL OUT OR BELITTLE ANYONE OR ANY BIKE.
(it is sad when you have to make that statement in room full of adults, but....)

I hear all of the owners, riders and mags go on about how good the S1000R makes the rider. Is that really true?? the thing is loaded with so many computers all aimed at preventing you from fucking up, not really honing your skill. To me, it is kinda like Iron Man. Yeah, he is a hero, but i really havent seen him do too much outside of the uniform. The current crop of riders have so many anti wheelie this and programed launch that, I find it hard when I hear people say "it makes me a better rider". I, personally, dont think it makes you a better rider, I think it makes you 'look' like a better rider as these systems are cleaning up the slop that ANY rider may make. I dont know, I am not a big fan of 'laptop' automobiles. I liked things when they were simple and you had to do things yourself. I miss two strokes because they taught you timing and patience. Now a days you can ham fist it to the corner, Jam the breaks past your marker because you have ABS and dont have to be too concerned about folding the tire, open the throttle to early because you dont have to be as concerned about tire slidding/highsiding and punch it to the next corner. I think a couple of riders have said that while these electronics are nice for rookies and street riders, sometimes they wish they could just have the direct link between them and the bike without the newly (well not too new) introduced 'fuzzy logic' gate that stands in between them and the machine.
I dont know, I loved my RGV 250, so i got used to being cognizant of when the powervalves hit, so that bounce at 5k on the MV was never really an issue for me (but the heat was/is :-( ). I know this is problaby a jerk statement, but I like to be involved as much as possible with my ride and I think if someone doesnt want to put in the effort to expand themselves and get involved with the WHOLE aspect of riding (Are my tires warm enough, is my suspension not liking this paticular surface, ok, I am coming up on 4k RPM and i know this because of the sound), I think maybe they should be on a different type of bike (I feel like it is competing in sports while on steroids and then saying it is to easy while the legit players are working hard and getting just as good results).
MV is raw.
Thats why I like her.
My next project will not have any unessesary 0's and 1's in it and I am damn sure going to need to be alive and paying attention on that (dont ask for now, I am hoping to be ready to ride it to the 2014 GP in Texas)

Good on BMW for making a phenomonal bike. I am sure it rocks. And I actually like the way it looks from the front (well, there went my creditability :) )

Shame on the companies for trying to take the wheel out of my hand and the throttle from between my fingers.

Keep doing what you do MV. There is still some passion in motorcycling.

Sorry guys
Rant over
And again, this is only single guys opinion

Tree MV
Tree, I almost fully agree with you.

All the electronics remove the need to learn to feel if your tires are hooking well, to learn to judge the surface and if it's up to rolling it on hard exiting a corner, and to learn to have your right foot ready to apply a little rear brake when the front gets close to the balance point.

Being involved in a ride is what clears my head when I'm riding and relaxes me. When the rear kicks out a little, it forces me to focus better, clearing my head yet more.

Almost, 'cause I've thought from the day I saw the pictures and confirmed the day I saw it in person, that the BMW S1000RR is fugly, with a low grade of 'fit and finish'.

I am not, as Tree mentioned, trying to start anything or belittle anyone's choice of machinery. Just my little opinion and worth only what you paid for it.

#16 ·
#19 ·
Not trying to necromance this post, but I SOLD my Duc for the MV. Should tell you all you need to know.

I became an Italian convert when I bought my Duc, but I became an MV convert the first time I rode one. I will never own another bike. My F4 is everything I want in a bike. Seks for my eyeballs. Seks for my hamfist. Seks for my earholes. Seks for other peoples earholes(When you scoot by em ;) ).

Bottom line, I love my MV. Not quite like the love between a man and a woman. More like the love between a man and a fine Cuban cigar... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.