MV Agusta Forum banner

My first forum LMIRL

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Ian SAVS 
#1 ·
(That's text speak for "Let's Meet In Real Life" for you older fellas):stickpoke

I have to say, as Originally Posted by MVF3_40 in the "F3oro" thread,
Best. Website. Ever.

Many have mentioned before, that the membership of this forum is made up of a lot of good people. I feel like I have made many friends (hopefully you too Elton!) in the short time I have been a member, and I look forward to meeting many of you in person one day. The outpouring of support, technical advice (There are literally hundreds of years of motorcycle experience here) and diverse and interesting opinions, speak volumes of the membership spectrum on MVAgusta.net.

I have read about various member's personal interactions with each other over the short time I have been on this site, and often thought, that sounds cool, these people are all good friends, not just anonymous posters on a public forum. Many members obviously knew each other well. I struggled to understand some of the inside conversation, but I noticed that everyone also welcomed newcomers with open arms. I think I got a personal invite to this years Bubba from Randy by my third or forth post. Noel gave me a personal phone call after I sent a PM about a minor question, and I learned more about my bike in a half an hour than I had reading online posts for a week. Needless to say I was impressed with the forum and it's members.

I am working in Raleigh, nearby another forum member this week. I have spoken to him on the phone before, when he personally called me to talk about a thread I started, asking for advice on track bikes. The information that he passed along from his years of experience changed the direction that I was headed, and opened my eyes to the kind of decisions that a beginner going to the track should make. My favorite bit was, "don't track a bike unless you can imagine the back end of it sticking out of a dumpster" Good advice.

Being in the area, I called him up hoping I might be able to stop by and see his bikes, and ask some more questions about track days and setups. Now, I am a technically a complete stranger, asking someone to show me thousands of dollars of their exotic motorcycles, and gear.

This is where I think we all appreciate what we have here.

Not only was I welcomed into his home, but I was invited to eat a home cooked meal, with good conversation and cold beer.
To say that this is a rarity when I work out of town is an understatement.
We sat at the dinner table talking track bikes and more for a good hour and a half, before retiring to the garage. (Were we all really want to hang out anyway)
We spent the next hour and half, which flew by, chatting it up in the garage, talking Agustas, track bikes, and his wife's cute little Triumph Street Triple. It was the first time I have seen a Brutale in person, and only the second MV that I have been able get up close and personal to, after my own. Any others I have seen in person were behind velvet ropes at MotoGP races in Europe.

Eventually, I left grudgingly, because I had to get up early for work, as did he, but I left with a clear direction for my future track exploits, a full belly, and a lot more knowledge than I arrived with.

It's easy to see, MV owners are a different breed.

Thank you again for dinner, Marty. Tell Janey if she will ever give up that recipe, I want it.

Ian

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds cool mate

That's why most of us are here. You only ever have to ask, or send a PM.
I got a few PM's over the years, with new blokes asking me if I know how they can get in touch with the guy riding the MV in my pictures, as they want to track their bikes and need some info :), that is always a great treat.

It is always good to see when a new member come's along, and takes a bit of time to read post's and threads, or read about the long time members on here before laying down judgement. Some of these guys have been around for-ever, and are still here for a reason.

Good post, thanks for sharing.

#4 ·
Sharing is caring

Ian, as truly odd and scary as it might seem to Americans, I have invited homeless people over for dinner into my NY apt a few Thanksgivings in a row. Hospitality is more common in South America, where I lived for many years, than in the US I guess, unless some of you southerners disagree. I only know NY.

#7 · (Edited)
Ian, great post, especially when you consider the time of year this is, (see Glenn’s Merry Christmas thread).
I (like many others here) am a dues paying member of several clubs and associations as well as being on a number of forums. The first on-line group I joined was the ducati.net mail list. It is a great mix of like-minded individuals much as you have described this group. I know that is why I felt so “at home” when I first started lurking on here.
I recall my early face to face encounters with other ducati.net members. To them I wasn’t just Stephen; I was “Dreamin’ Stephen”. It’s a wonderful feeling, being welcomed and accepted. The Ducati community is so big now and there are so many groups compared to when I first got involved. Even though I joined the ducati.ms forum when it first launched I quickly realized it wasn’t for me. Too big, too many egos and “know-it-alls”. I recognize that there are some good people on there and many interesting and informative threads but, it’s not the same as what we have here.
This mvagusta.net group is as eclectic and diverse as you’ll ever find. I knew a couple of the members before signing up but that didn’t stop me. hehe :rolleyes: I’ve read some of the “dust ups” that have gone on here and understand that in any group you’ll have disagreement. I also understand that sometimes things get lost between typist and reader, as well as knowing misunderstandings will occur. However, reading all the Bub4 posts just underscores the FUNdamental reasons this group works and so well too. :yo:
The wife and I are also looking forward to meeting other members in the real world. Perhaps at the Indy MotoGP or if there is a Bub5 but we’ll have to wait and see what 2013 brings.

#11 ·
:stopp: Woah, Wendy's? You guys have expensive tastes! I was thinking more like picking up some Slim Jim's and a Mountain Dew from the 7-Eleven around the corner.

Just kidding. I asked the boss if I could use the company credit card, and I said it was okay. There are couple of restaurants up in North Raleigh that I like to eat that we can pick from. I will see you in January!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.