MV Agusta Forum banner

My dealer says F4's dont have an over heating problem

7K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  Sammy Bono 
#1 ·
exactly as the title says he told me this when i told him i wanted muzzy fans on my bike so it would help with the cooling i couldnt convince him that the bikes run hot and this was the owner really nice guy though not trying to bash him or anything

#2 ·
well, you can obviously tell he is just a dealer and not an owner
but i guess you cant expect every ferarri dealer to own the latest ferrai either
at least they are a good person.....

#4 ·
YA great guy was actually on the bonneville team that did the run with the f4 but i mean dude it runs hot and i just want the fans put on and i rather have it just done without hearing it doesnt over heat he said if you turn the bike off and its not boiling it doesnt over heat, my plans are muzzy fans and water impeller until i save up for a full system

#10 ·
comon guys.....we all know throttle control is the key to solving this heating problem.
the faster you go, the more cool air flows through, the lower the temperature drops.

Problem solved......
Agreed and therefore I Dont think it has an overheating problem. It does get warmer than other bikes but thats because of the radiator being sort of enclosed like and also the fairings being fully covered. But other than that no probs.

#8 ·
Sammy Bono, who's the chica in your avatar...?

Your dealer is wrong. The 1000R and the 1000 Senna do have an overheating problem. As has been covered on this forum, it's because of changes to the primary drive ratio from the crankshaft to the ancillary drives. The water-pump now spins too slow at low rpm's. Get one of the aftermarket pump impellers and if possible get rid of the catalytic converter. My Senna no longer overheats.... there's been several really good posts on the subject.

#17 ·
Sammy Bono, who's the chica in your avatar...?

Your dealer is wrong. The 1000R and the 1000 Senna do have an overheating problem. As has been covered on this forum, it's because of changes to the primary drive ratio from the crankshaft to the ancillary drives. The water-pump now spins too slow at low rpm's. Get one of the aftermarket pump impellers and if possible get rid of the catalytic converter. My Senna no longer overheats.... there's been several really good posts on the subject.

Thats my girlfriend yes i know im a lucky guy

#26 ·
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that the tips are melted.:jsm: :laughing:
The fan blades are a warranty item. I'm sure the dealership would replace with Muzzy's without laber costs if one incurred the price of the fans.

I agree with you Sandman it's a track/race bike first and foremost.
Not a street bike.
The Japanese bikes are built for the masses.

#28 ·
You cant just change the impeller . It LOOKS like it should fit but the stock casing is just a hair too small. I bought the standard MV waterpump upgrade and it did little. Do the job correctly and spend the extra 50$ and get the DESIGN COURSE water pump(they are a sponsor of this site ) its a better designed unit and a higher quality unit .

#29 ·
Sounds like it's time to find another dealer. Regardless of what he thinks if it was your desire to have uprated fans installed he should have installed them when you requested them. The customer is always right is apparently not one of their mottos. :/

#35 · (Edited)
Its funny to see the old comments though. How MV wasnt wrong, that the bike is a "track bike" and not built for the street (you know, save for the mirrors, lights, emissions systems and plate mounts) and the Japanese bikes run cooler and don't run into melting fan issues are made for the street (just ignore the fact that they are also faster around the track than an MV).

Just one look at the original impeller sold me, its not that the MV is a track bike, its engineering incompetence. Someone got their pump design from their blender carafe.

Now, with that dig out of the way I will admit that since replacing that old, terrible design with the new model, thoroughly flushing/filling and bleeding the system, putting the new cap on and cleaning the rad I haven't had any issues since.

It hits 103 max. Even in the hottest summer day, after getting in town and getting stuck at a light, it hasn't flashed at me or boiled over.

#36 ·
The Japanese do a lot more refinement to their bikes than the Italians to make them more usable on the street. The standard R1 or R6 that is used on the street is not the same machine used on the race track. A friend of mine has a vintage Yamaha that was used for most of it's life as a race bike. It's just as wayward as an Italian machine with it's overheating and running issues in traffic. It's difficult to make a machine that does "everything" perfectly and from an engineering perspective you have to sacrifice refinement for performance.

Personally I enjoy some of the rough edges the Italian machines have as it makes them more interesting. While they could have done a better job with the cooling system their testing was likely quite different than the Japanese as their main interest was how the bike performed on the track rather than in traffic.

#37 ·
Im sure a lot of that comes from the more recent budgets. The Japanese makers make more bikes, more money for R&D and more money for testing.

But still, I cant see how anyone with a basic knowledge of fluid dynamics would have thought that original pump design was optimal. The replacement, however, is a considerably better design (not just about being bigger the impeller was actually designed to flow fluid).

#39 ·
Something also to consider is age and maintenance. These older F4's are hovering around the 10 year mark and many of them have been maintained well and many have not. A system that has not been regularly flushed and serviced won't cool as efficiently as one that's been well maintained.

On super hot days my F4 hints that it does not like traffic lights but it's never run too warm or ever overheated. My R6 also exhibits this same behavior where it will slowly warm up at red lights on hot days and it's roughly the same age and mileage as the MV.

Any sport bike hovering around the 10 year mark is going to to need a little assistance when parts start to wear out and it starts to get a bit tired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.