MV Agusta Forum banner

A group ride, but not on an MV

3K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  iamlance 
#1 · (Edited)
Yes it was gayer than the volley ball scene in top gun, but it was small town, clean fun.

Not one lame "happy holidays" all night. No sir, it's Merry Christmas down here.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
'Tis the Season....all y'all....

#10 ·
Two wrongs don't make a right. They don't make a left. The etymology of holiday is a reference to the Sabbath in that they are holy days.

Im not actually offended, Im above that. But it is hilarious when people respond to a religious statement with another in an attempt to be "PC."

#11 ·
Nice Carl - a Norman Rockwell moment. Simple pleasures warm the heart. Merry Christmas to you and Beth! :)

#15 ·
The Cartersville Christmas Parade (not the C'ville Holiday Parade) is a community institution. Last night's parade lasted 2.5 hours comprising around 3000 participants representing somewhere around 100 various groups, and maybe 30,000 attendees. We had commercial entries, governmental entries, churches, school bands, ROTC drill teams (God forbid....), civic groups, non profit groups, etc. in attendance. At times the crowd was 10 deep.

I've been decorating a commercial float since 1995, and using Jackie's fire engine since 2006. Last night we hosted 15-18 third thru fifth graders from our church, plus 6-8 parents. I've never actually seen the parade, as we've always been in it. This event can only be replicated in a typical small town environment. Big cities have huge, commercially successful events, but they don't exude the typical friendliness and fun, in my opinion.

Jackie and I asked Carl and Beth to join us in the parade. Beth had a great time.......Carl, on the other hand.......I don't know. :)

#16 ·
I did inadvertently wear a "Happy Holidays" hat......only because it wouldn't blow off my bald head while driving the fire truck to and from the event. I was dutifully ashamed of myself......

#17 ·
I did inadvertently wear a "Happy Holidays" hat......only because it wouldn't blow off my bald head while driving the fire truck to and from the event. I was dutifully ashamed of myself......
Why would you be ashamed of that?

Personally, I don't care what language people use to describe the Holidays. I don't find, "Merry Christmas" offensive, but what's wrong with "Happy Holidays?" Why is that, "lame?" Why would you be "ashamed" to wear a hat that says that?

#18 ·
I was pleased to note that President Obama lit up the official White House Christmas Tree last night.....that's right, the USA's official Christmas Tree......very nice celebration, too. He has a lovely family.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it, and Happy Holidays to everyone else!!!

:friday: :penguin::penguin::penguin: ;) :moped:

#20 ·
I had loads of fun last night at our Christmas parade, and I'm going to stay with that.....

#44 ·
This thread started out as light hearted fun.......unfortunately it's taken an unpleasant turn.

I wonder why......

#24 ·
Last night it dropped into the high 40's with a moderate wind. In the past it's been very cold in the low 30's and very warm in the mid 60's. It's always more fun when the temps are Christmas like......kinda cold. Personally, I would have liked it a little colder.

I told our church youth group leader to insist to the parents that they dress their kids for the cold. Knowing what was coming, I purchase 10 pairs of cheapie gloves and a dozen Santa hats for the kids. Sure enough, our kids came under dressed (one in a t-shirt :wtf:), and scarfed up the donor gloves and hats. I also keep a spare jacket for myself on the firetruck, which I loaned to the half naked kid. I even had one parent show up in a t-shirt.......I let him freeze for being a dumb ass.

Having done this 15 times now, I knew that the kids would think about 4:00pm weather rather than 8:00pm weather. Twenty five dollars spent on hats and gloves was a good investment on my part.

#25 ·
Glad you guys had a good time in north Georgia! Down here in the south it has been a bit warmer. 50s at night and 70s during the day. Merry Christmas!

#26 ·
Carl stated:
"Not one lame "happy holidays" all night. No sir, it's Merry Christmas down here."

I think it's a New England " thing and it drives me crazy. Everywhere else I've lived (Pittsburgh, WV, Colorado, TX) everyone said "Merry Christmas"...Merry Christmas everyone!:)

#28 ·
It's non-committal.

#29 ·
#30 · (Edited)
It's non-committal.
Huh? How so? By "non-commital," do you mean, it fails to commit the Christian heritage inherent in Christmas?
Elton, here's a fairly unceremonious response to your question. Don't click on the link if you're easily offended by unseemly language (Randy).
"Don’t say happy holidays to me." - http://heystupid.wordpress.com/2006/12/19/don’t-say-happy-holidays-to-me/
Ahhh, finally! Now we're getting to the heart of the matter! Thank you, Kevin, for at least having the gumption to post it.

The answer, frankly, is obvious. But Carl and Randy want to dance around the answer and pretend it's not what it is.

As your link points out, (some) Christians find, "Happy Holidays" "lame" because it doesn't properly acknowledge Christmas for the Christian holiday that it is.

This view of the world, (namely, that any other recognition of Christmas other than an overt nod to Christianity is, "lame") is so exclusionary, so (dare i say it?!), bigoted, that even after posting it, nobody wants to own it. No surpise there.

I know, it was just a joke, I should lighten up,...blah, blah, blah...

And the hatred goes on.

Thanks for the link.

#33 ·
...and Boxing Day....

#35 ·
It excludes all by being meaningless.

#38 ·
It's non-committal.
Chuck, I agree. It's a way of saying "I don't care enough about you to know what you celebrate, so I'm just going to be lazy and wish you Happy Holidays. And what the hell, since I can't get into trouble by saying it, I'll just say it to everybody. 'Cause I really don't care." :jerkoff:

#36 ·
It's non-committal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.