MV Agusta Forum banner

mcn test today

17K views 186 replies 42 participants last post by  mikef4uk 
#1 ·
f3 v 675 triumph in mcn today.

overall verdict is that the triumph is much better in normal conditions(everyday riding) but mv would be better on track!

usual mv faults are diagnosed . ie too extreme for road, raw motor, poorish gearbox, bad fuelling!!

good points are sounds good and looks good! and is better at roll on times than triumph and is faster in straight line.

so it looks to me like the usual dilemma for us mv fans!

i cant believe theyve spent so much time and money developing a bike that still has basic faults!

mvs testers must be useless!!

cant wait to see more tests and head to heads in mags but my mantra is as always.............test one for yourselves!!

i loved my f4 even with all its faults but i was hoping the f3 would be THE BIKE that would bring me back to the mv fold but the juries out at the moment.:ahhh:

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Here We Go, here we go , here we go

Does everyone have to start a new thread on the same topic - every time :stickpoke
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45058
and
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45062
Yeah tell me about it Donsy - I think we are just a bunch of lazy slobs :laughing:

Err, what dilemma? I certainly have ZERO and I am definitely what you would call an MV fan(atic)!

But the MCN tester is obviously correct and brilliant? Gosh, I wonder why those brilliant motorcycle analytical skills that he possesses aren't head hunted by a major motor cycling brand to improve their product and put distance between them & the competition? Or is it possibly that he is some journalistic hack who wouldn't know shit from clay (and is more than likely dictated to by prejudices & commercial interests) but gains instant creditability amongst the lesser thinking populous simply because he writes for a magazine?

wait to see more tests and head to heads in mags but my mantra is as always.............test one for yourselves!!
YES YES YES YES YES - Use your own brain, own body after all it's your money and usually passion comes from the heart - it will either feel right or it won't regardless of how hard some hack desk jockey tries to control your mind thoughts & spending power to improve the advertising value of their publication!

Just look at the heading - the usual tabloid sensationalism crap that the UK media seems to thrive on.

#3 ·

overall verdict is that the triumph is much better in normal conditions(everyday riding) but mv would be better on track!

usual mv faults are diagnosed . ie too extreme for road, raw motor, poorish gearbox, bad fuelling!!

good points are sounds good and looks good! and is better at roll on times than triumph and is faster in straight line.

i cant believe theyve spent so much time and money developing a bike that still has basic faults!

cant wait to see more tests and head to heads in mags but my mantra is as always.............test one for yourselves!!

i loved my f4 even with all its faults but i was hoping the f3 would be THE BIKE that would bring me back to the mv fold but the juries out at the moment.:ahhh:
Do you think they built it to beat a Triumph that's not won a World Supersport race, or maybe to beat the CBR's and R6'es ot there.

#9 ·
The Triumph has won domestic championships all over the world in superstock trim! How many Mv"s have acheived this in the last 10yrs?

99.99% of all the 675 MV"s will be used on the road & never see a track so fuelling is important. CBR"s & R6"s etc can do both so why cant MV do the same?

I spent a small fortune trying to get my F4 to fuel right & it was still jerky at the bottom out of stop start chicanes & mid corner if you were too aggressive mid corner on track. When it was new out of the crate the bike was near unrideable & I could not believe MV had allowed it to leave the factory in that state. Since then I have bought elsewhere.

I am really hoping when I test ride the 675 it is spot on as I really would like a mid sized MV. [Which works.]If it is sh*t off the throttle then I will look elsewhere regardless of how nice & pretty it looks or what its top speed is down a straight.

I have no brand loyalty at all or rose tints. I only buy what WORKS, as riding on track reliability & the ability to be smooth is paramount to a good days riding.

I really hope MCN & the other mags do not all agree & say it is jerky as that may lose MV my money. I already own a jerky MV.[But it looks nice]:stickpoke

#4 ·

The "bad fuelling" comment may have to do with what setting the selectable throttle map is on - Normal versus Sport.

#5 ·
The "bad fuelling" comment may have to do with what setting the selectable throttle map is on - Normal versus Sport.

i doubt it. seeing as it was the same tester who went to the launch and would obviously have it on his preferred setting.

#8 ·
+1,000,000 MVista. Motorcycles are a passion. Just knowing your on the sexiest bike on the mountain on any and every given day will give you the confidence to deal with whatever quirks a bike may have! Not to mention that there is pretty much a rainbow of aftermarket products to iron out any crease! don't forget the trumpet has full ohlins and 7 years of product sales! The test wasn't against an oro was it? Nope!! Definitely not purchasing mine to set up at the gas station. If it needs a lil ONDGAS fine tuning to suit my taste and passion for the very best perfomance the bike has to offer so be it. I just want the damn thing to show up. NOW. Lol

#14 ·
Dear oh dear!!

usual mv faults are diagnosed . ie too extreme for road, raw motor, poorish gearbox, bad fuelling!! :jsm:

i cant believe theyve spent so much time and money developing a bike that still has basic faults! :popcorn:

MCN reports are important and this certainly isn't good!!

'Looks good and sounds good' are not what I would purchase a bike on the strength of!!

I'm bloody glad that I pulled my deposit anyway.​

#15 · (Edited)
I have read a few articles in the last week as there is a big feature in Bike magazine and motorcycle and leisure, the bike magazine read almost the same as MCNS test where they picked out the faults, probably as I'm sure bike magazine is owned by MCN. The motorcyce and leisure was more enthusiastic and complementry, they focus more on the passion, the lust for such a beautiful bike and the history of MV and it's sadly passed leader.

I have waited 14 months now since handing over a deposit, there have been times when I have thought should I wait for an updated version when they have ironed out any imperfections or maybe a special edition bike. I will create my own special unique edition as I'm sure a few of us will.

I have just had a litle girl who is 7 weeks old today, fortunately my girlfriend is very supportive of my hobby and insists I have the bike I have made so much fuss over, she even said it can go in the house! God I love her! I don't think I will get that much time on the bike with my new baby but like MCN said my riding will be early Sunday morning blasts and no doudt hours spent in the garden polishing it.

My opinion is journo's are quite often critical as they are looking for good and bad points, let's be honest that's what we want to know, I believe the average rider wouldn't notice some of the things they pick up on and I am sure when you are sat on the MV cruising past other bikers envious eyes you won't give a toss about a slightly jerky throttle or clunky gearbox.

Not to diss the Triumph as I know a few of you own them but it's no contest for me, the MV wins hands down as when I look at the Triumph it don't get my pulse racing or wow me with it's beauty, the F3 for me was love at first sight and I have sold three good bikes to fund this dream, I couldn't care less how it rides as long as it rides, I know it will sound good, I know it looks amazing, I know people will stare at it and say WOW that's a stunning bike. I'm not cancelling my order, I can't wait much longer, what ever the quirks or niggels it has I'm sure MV will rectify eventually and what ever they don't I'll fix myself one way or another. I would much rather own a bike with character, personality and is thrilling to ride than in my opinion an average looking bike that rides good and is smoother, I would turn down two Daytona's for one F3. I am buying with my heart, I can live with that.

I just want it now, I have butterflies already and as the weeks pass they are getting stronger, when I get the call from my dealer I don't care where I am, what time of day it is, I'm out the door to see my new bike, not long now, hopefully anyway.

#16 ·
Sadly I feel pessimistic about the F3.................

I have read a few articles in the last week as there is a big feature in Bike magazine and motorcycle and leisure, the bike magazine read almost the same as MCNS test where they picked out the faults, probably as I'm sure bike magazine is owned by MCN. The motorcyce and leisure was more enthusiastic and complementry, they focus more on the passion, the lust for such a beautiful bike and the history of MV and it's sadly passed leader.

I have waited 14 months now since handing over a deposit, there have been times when I have thought should I wait for an updated version when they have ironed out any imperfections or maybe a special edition bike. I will create my own special unique edition as I'm sure a few of us will.

After waiting for 14 months and listening to all the hype about this bike I'd be buggered if I want to go and thrash another 3/4/5K on MV 'Special Parts' just to make it good!!

I have just had a litle girl who is 7 weeks old today, fortunately my girlfriend is very supportive of my hobby and insists I have the bike I have made so much fuss over, she even said it can go in the house! God I love her! I don't think I will get that much time on the bike with my new baby but like MCN said my riding will be early Sunday morning blasts and no doudt hours spent in the garden polishing it.

My opinion is journo's are quite often critical as they are looking for good and bad points, let's be honest that's what we want to know, I believe the average rider wouldn't notice some of the things they pick up on and I am sure when you are sat on the MV cruising past other bikers envious eyes you won't give a toss about a slightly jerky throttle or clunky gearbox.

Not to diss the Triumph as I know a few of you own them but it's no contest for me, the MV wins hands down as when I look at the Triumph it don't get my pulse racing or wow me with it's beauty, the F3 for me was love at first sight and I have sold three good bikes to fund this dream, I couldn't care less how it rides as long as it rides, I know it will sound good, I know it looks amazing, I know people will stare at it and say WOW that's a stunning bike. I'm not cancelling my order, I can't wait much longer, what ever the quirks or niggels it has I'm sure MV will rectify eventually and what ever they don't I'll fix myself one way or another. I would much rather own a bike with character, personality and is thrilling to ride than in my opinion an average looking bike that rides good and is smoother, I would turn down two Daytona's for one F3. I am buying with my heart, I can live with that.

I just want it now, I have butterflies already and as the weeks pass they are getting stronger, when I get the call from my dealer I don't care where I am, what time of day it is, I'm out the door to see my new bike, not long now, hopefully anyway.

What is with the delay I wonder?

Lets just hope then that the F3 is not all 'Fur Coat and No Knickers' Personally when I spend 10K (or more on a new bike) the very last thing I want is to be anything other than 100% satisfied with what I have purchased and certainly will not make allowances on behalf of the factory.

After all this time being kept waiting I would want it perfect in every detail!!

The very best of luck to you F3 'Test Pilots', soon as you have weighed in with your reports I may then consider purchasing one again.

:popcorn:​

#17 · (Edited)
Reality Is............

I am astounded Ade, given your riding/racing experience that you choose to be dictated to by some journo? As they say in the classics 'Wonders will never cease'. If there is some reason for your change of heart, delays, impatience or just plainly you've got the shits that's all great, but FFS don't tell me a MCN report has taken control of your thoughts....Please!

You've pulled your deposit most people in the queue will think "Great I've just moved up the pecking order".

I am happy to be a 'test pilot' it is nice being the first (for better or for worse) - It's never been my style to go slops. ;)

#20 ·
I am astounded Ade, given your riding/racing experience that you choose to be dictated to by some journo?
Nope I'm just a realist Rob!!!!

We'll all see if its all its cracked up to be if/when it hits the track against some serious opposition!! Personally if its any good I'll wait and get the 'R' version anyway.
I'm quite surprised you want the basic model in fact.

All that glitters isn't gold!!

:popcorn:

#18 ·
Hi, Bad fueling or not raw motor or not, poorish gearbox or not I'm still going to vote for the F3.
Why? I'll tell you why.
1st- it's there first 675cc bike ( with good looks and top technology)
2nd- MSN never says anything good for the Mv.
3rd- Now every other companies will start coping F3
4th- They bring the Triumph Daytona R and not the normal version. Well take the F3 ORO next time
5th- When you buy a toy you have to pay. Like Mr. Claudio Castiglioni said " The difference between a man and a kid is the cost of their toys"
6-th- In the end it's Mv Agusta.

#22 ·
Hi, Bad fueling or not raw motor or not, poorish gearbox or not I'm still going to vote for the F3.
Why? I'll tell you why.
4th- They bring the Triumph Daytona R and not the normal version. Well take the F3 ORO next time
I thought they used the Triumph Daytona R because it is the same price as the standard F3 - £9999, seems fair to me, the oro is mucho more dosh.

#19 ·
Mr. Claudio Castiglioni said " The difference between a man and a kid is the cost of their toys"

I never saw that quote - but I am sure it should have been
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" - this scans properly. You will notice that this specifically excludes girls and women, they tend not to be so prone to this sort of thing IME. This is also a very old quote and goes with saying "he who dies with the most toys wins" - again notice the masculine take. I use both of these to justify some new toy to my wife and she uses them to say to her friends "look, he's just a child - I humour him". :)

#43 · (Edited)
... "he who dies with the most toys wins"...
No, he who dies with the most toys is dead!
He who marries the dead sod's widow is the winner!

My observations of this thread boil down to this:
There are two groups.
One group is willing to take the risk and put their money where their passion
is.
The other group want proof that the product lives up to it's per-delivery hype
before they'll commit.
Both groups have made valid points yet neither have been able to sway the
others decision.
To my way of thinking the down side to being in the first group is, as has
been pointed out, they become the guinea pigs for the second group. The down
side of the second group is the possibility of missing out on this first run,
due to limited numbers, if the F3 proves to be as good as claimed.

Reading threads like this I came to a realization. I have never test road any
of my bikes before I purchased them. From my first new bike, a 1974 Kawasaki,
thru to my current 1998 Ducati SS FE. In fact it's only been within the last
8-10 years that Demo Rides have become readily available here.
Furthermore, four of my bikes were bought sight unseen, including my prized
1986 Honda NS400R. Just like the F3, I placed the deposit on the NS months in
advance based strictly on rumours, magazine reports and sales hype.

You want to know something, I don't regret buying a single one of my bikes.
Even my RC30, which suffered from bad main bearing clearance issues. A problem
that was well documented but not publicly acknowledged.

When you love someone, you're quick to praise their virtues and even quicker
to forgive their faults.
It seems that for some of us the same holds true for all objects that command
our affections.

I predict that in the finally tally, the vast majority of us will be totally
satisfied with our decisions, regardless of which group we're in.

#45 ·
MCN gives as good or as bad reviews as any other magazine in this world. There will always people that don't like the results.

But, in this particular case....as I pointed out....they tested the F3 at launch and complained about the fueling in the morning...saying that they will monitor it throughout the different maps and day. At the end of the day....the fueling wasn't much of an issue anymore....with the custom map. During the test with the Triumph, it suddenly was again....but they also didn't mention which map they were running....

At least in this regard, they are not consistent in their opinion and this certainly is something that makes me wonder with this review....especially since it was the exact same tester...

But at the same time....I don't really care much about reviews other than to kill some time....usually they ride bikes way different than I do...even on the street....

#27 ·
The oro has full ohlins full carbon bodywork. Launch control, wheelie control, shift asist adjustable rearsets, sterring dampner, and there is only 200 world wide. There's the diff between the standard f3 and an oro. All this yapping about one mans opinion on a machine the public has yet 2 give there opinion on. Did any of you listen to eric bostrom which is a world class racer.... he loved it.

#28 ·
The F3 oro is £20,000 or $32,000 in our money. I should bloody well hope he did like it LOL!! Did he ride the Daytona 'R' on the same day and compare them back to back?

What I asked was " can you please splain to me what the out and out performance difference is between the Oro and the stock F3"

You have described the bolt ons, not the performance advantage, is the engine built to a different specification (Higher state of tune), possibly it has more BHP? that's all I'm asking.

#30 ·
It,s normal that the trumpet is a lot better then the Mv , it,s got years of refinement under it,s belly , some years of super sport competition.
Mv did for a 1st year new model more then OK , just my 2 cents, for the rest , Ade has slammed the nails right on ;)

#33 ·
I for one think the trumpet is a steal of a deal for the money. You get about $4,500 bucks in suspension upgrades with he ohlins. Anda friend of mine is still rocking his 2006 scorch yellow triumph with over 40,000 miles on it. With that being said he had to work all the kinks out of his 1st year bike aswell. We replaced the rectifier 4 times before we finally removed and installed it in a different location becouse the heat from the exhaust being so close kept frying it. Point is... triumph has had 7 years of sales and 3 design and upgrade changes. It should be atop its game by now. Side by side the mv is sooooo sexy. Hands down a better looking bike. They already say its faster than the trumpet. Have we all forgot that a power commander 5 with a custom dyno tuned map and a auto tune system will fix all fuel and throttle response issues? Given the new mv 675 is beautiful with a sweet electronics package and the ability to add electronic things such as shift assist is sweet as a plate of yams with extra syrup. And its price [standard version] is great considering it is an italian exotic. Still a few hundread cheaper than an 848 ducati evo. I personally can't wait till my jewel gets here. Ill be happy to fix any issue that may arise. Who knows, may be perfect out the crate!

#34 ·
Who's going to be first on MV Agusta.net to do an honest road test write-up ?

I think even if it is crap no one would be honest enough to admit it on here.

After reading comments like- so what if it has bad fuelling & a poor gearbox etc etc.

I have NEVER seen such blinkered people as the ones here who are prepared to buy at ANY cost, crap or not just because it has MV on the tank. It defies common sense.:wtf:

I will ignore what is put on here until I ride it for myself before making judgement or putting my money down.

#38 ·
Who's going to be first on MV Agusta.net to do an honest road test write-up ?

I think even if it is crap no one would be honest enough to admit it on here.

After reading comments like- so what if it has bad fuelling & a poor gearbox etc etc.

I have NEVER seen such blinkered people as the ones here who are prepared to buy at ANY cost, crap or not just because it has MV on the tank. It defies common sense.:wtf:

I will ignore what is put on here until I ride it for myself before making judgement or putting my money down.
Geez much has happened whilst I was asleep - lol.

Firstly let's not confuse the fact the Triumph is indeed a fabulous bike no one (including me) is saying otherwise. It has had years of development & refining and R being the (possibly) the ultimate evolution of what they can do with it - we will find out next years as I understand a brand new Daytona is due out.

Yes the F3 is a warts & all first model & stacking up brilliantly on debut & kills the Triumph in looks & sound - as racing is not how I put food on my family's table - those TWO thing are of uppermost importance to me. It was after all, the sight & sound of Ago's 500/3 that as little boy was inedibly etched on my mind, heart & soul.

Again, what it does on the track is irrelevant to me (I certainly want to do very well for obvious reasons) as that's not how I eek out my living nor my method of measuring my dick size. What it is capable of stirring inside of me is of most relevance.

If/when an 'R' version comes out, am I precluded from buying one because I own a first generation model Ade? :laughing: I am pretty sure I can go & arrange for Justin to get the 'R' model for me ;)

Meanwhile, I will get the quick shifter (when available) on the my basic bike, I'll fool around with, suspension, exhausts - create my own custom map (get ready to be haunted Justin - lol) & have an absolute ball living life the way I've worked very hard to do ;)

Different strokes Ade & I find that most things that glitter are GOLD - it just depends on your point of view and how you attack life ;)

The day MCN or anyone else EVEN has the slightest bearing on how I think is that the day I will pack it all in & sign up the for :ahhh: palace and take my medication willingly & quietly!

Exactly what I have been preaching since minute one!
Why on earth have you edited out the important parts of Bungles post to just suit your argument and as a result taken his post completely out of context Rob?

#35 ·
Yep JDS. I read somewhere its full carbon. Not sure about the tank. There is a member on here that has one. He could certainly clear a few things up for us. And give us a honest op on how the bike works and feels. I'm soooo looking forward to puting in the seat time and giving my review. In which case is the only damn review that matters. Unless ofcoarse someone wants to by the toy for me. Lol.

#42 ·
Guys: Don't get hung up about the term "Honest"..Just focus on giving us your opinion

Hey Jet.. Please let us know if you get confirmation that the F3 Oro indeed has a full carbon bodywork..

It would be nice if it did have a full CF kit and go some way to explaining the £10K price over the standard model..

I think the fuel tank won't be carbon, as MV has only ever produced 2 models with carbon tanks and 1 Special Parts kit for the F4's that had a CF tank..

Looking forward to hearing what you think about this new model, and how it stacks up against your other bikes..

I'll do an honest write up the minute I get mine but what's honest? Is it what I feel and expreience or what you think you (I mean generic 'you' not you John specifically) want to hear?

Every write up will have a bias - it is impossible as humans to be perfectly unbiased. Your life experiences dictate who you are and how you view things and accordingly prefect impartiality is a myth.

Again, the bottom-line you have to do your own review, the only review that will really ever count. For a start I can't do a review using your knee can I Johnny?. ;)

But the sun is shining & rather than talk about riding - we are haeding out to do just that - laters :)
Rob, I wouldn't expect anything else from you, other than an honest opinion on how this new bike rocks your world..

The weather over here has been unusually nice for this time of year and my knee repair is almost ready for spring bike rides. :yo:

Open discussion now !

Obviously everyone is going to have their own opinions on what they feel are the pros and cons of this new model. However, it won’t take a genius to work out the general consensus agreement after several new owners have come forth with their assessments..

I’m looking forward to hearing from the various new owners about how they think the bike stacks up against their other previous bikes.

Journalist assessments are important and sometimes can have a dramatic affect on whether a new model sinks or swims. They also have the tendency to be super critical on their first outing, where as the average rider might not pick up on certain aspects during their first test ride..

It’s all down to individual experience and expertise.

#36 ·
Bungle if the bike is shit I will gladly shout it to the public. No shame here. I doubt very seriously that it wil have creases that can't be iron out! To get a perfectly good streetbike to perform and put me on top of the box in club racing takes a lot of time and cash. If I drop 500 bucks more in fuel management and dyno tunning it will all be worth it in the end. Hell the fuel management and tunning is already on the list of things to do. Lol. I belive in having every bike in the stable running at its ful potential. This encludes anything I own that has a piston and needs gasoline to operate. Lmao. I'm a true motor head. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

#51 ·
I am suprised this is stirring up so much controversy. The review basically said the bike is much more a track bike than a bike meant for sunday rides. I think that is a fair and honest review IMO. The point is....since it is so much more a race bike, will some folks be dissapointed if it is not used as such. I suspect there will be a lot of units sold that will never touch the race track, so fueling and some of the other issues they brought up are very valid. Can they be fixed? I'm sure you can change some things to improve the bike to what you want. I'm sure there is no one here that will deny the F3 is gorgeous, but I know around here there are no test rides and I dont' want to dump that much money in one to act as a guinea pig. I think the reviews for the recent liter bikes have been spot on by them.

I know it's easy to get frustrated when a review says something negative about a brand you like. I couldn't stand all the beemer talk when I had my F4. After having both though.....they were right.

#52 ·
I will absolutely give my full opinion of my bike after my first decent ride, i won't lie or hold back, after all it is only MY opinion. I know one things for sure I won't have anything bad to
say about the looks of the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.