MV Agusta Forum banner

Brutale 1078rr shutting down while riding

9K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  wingnutzster 
#1 ·
Hello dear friends, with the same passion: MVs!!!

Im new to this forum, and i really need your help with an issue that my
Brut has.

The other day, while riding around town, the bike shut down for no reason (fuel tank was full, and it shut down during a gear change from 3rd to 2nd; if that helps anyhow)

It happened twice so far, and it's rather dissapointing for a brand new bike :(
the thrill of riding it is unbeatable though!! :D

please help!!

#9 ·
no, no aftermarket pipe or anything else. bike is stock :)

Hi,

could be electrical problem.
check the fuses. I had this problem on my f4 too.
it was the cable of the speed sensor which had a bad isolation.
So sometimes it had contact to the metal around and fuse was gone.

Just an idea, but easy to check!

brgds,
DANIEL
Hi Daniel, thanks for response. Ive checked fuses and cable isolation. they look fine. (cable isolation looks like gona melt away from high temperatures though.bike gets really hot especially in summer. Do you think they need to be replaced or do sth with it?)

Thanks again!

Regards,

Alexandros

Welcome! Also it has been deemed as a faulty kick stand switch. It may help you to do a search on stalling although you will be overwhelmed with information.
Too much info for that issue, indeed!! :)
Thanks for the response!!

Hi IKAROS,need more info,does it shut off when you let go of the throttle while de-accelerating,or does it just turn off with throttle on,

cheers eddy
Hi Eddy! all 3times it turned off while de-accelerating (while changing gear from 3rd to 2nd to be more precise). hasnt done that again until now though, so its kinda hard to tell :/

Thanks for your response though!

Cheers,

Alexandros

Hello Ikaros...from where do you hail? I'll ask the age old question: Does it have an alarm system fitted?

Then I'll ask a question more pertinent to your problem: Is the bike fully warmed up when this occurs?
Hi Silentservice!! Greetings from Greece :)
Nope, it doesnt have an alarm system fitted (or anything else eg aftermarket pipes etc)
Yes, bike was fully warmed up all 3 times that occured

I've had this same thing occur on my 1090, 4x now. It has happened both before & after installing my Arrow headers/mid-pipe (stock ECU, no remap). It happens when decelerating (closed throttle) & down-shifting from 3rd to 2nd, the bike just quits. It has happened on 3 occasions at the early stages of a ride, even though I typically let the bike (which is on a battery tender) warm up for several minutes before I take off. It also happened once after riding all day. There is no aftermarket alarm system fitted.
I came across this reply (Thanks jonadd) in one of the posts & thought it made good sense as to why this might be happening.
Cheers,
Glenn

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48125

"Ok, some issues. I read the entire stalling thread, and decided the issue was mostly riding style/technique. Being a trials rider I aspire to precise throttle control, and pride myself on being a smooth rider. I removed the external throttle return spring, and I always roll the throttle back against the stop before pulling in the clutch on decel. Those changes alone have all but eliminated stalling. I stalled 6 times in first 50 miles, 3 times in next 800+ miles, 2 of which were my omission, only one due to a stumble at idle. Idle still stumbles every now and then, but not often and usually not enough to stall.

Note I am not giving her gas with the clutch engaged, just holding the twistgrip back against the spring pressure. I like to use engine braking, so I decel hard in gear and she never stalls under those conditions, only with the clutch in and revs falling down to, and past, idle rpm. I have ridden a few light flywheel, highly tuned motorcycles with fuel injection throttle snatch, so I think in terms of rpm momentum, and just don't let the rpm's fall too low too rapidly with the clutch in. Mostly, I accept the fact that I bought an exotic racing derived bike that offers incredible performance at the expense of some relatively small drivability issues. Others may have greater problems with their Brutales, but for me on mine, stalling is a non-issue.
Hi Glenn,

thank you very much for your response. Since ive been a 1 and 2 cylinder bike rider before brutale, this could make sense (since i was used to a more extensive clutch use). Ill let you know if that happens again. Waiting for your news if that happens again to you as well.

Cheers,

Alexandros

Ok I had my 1078 start doing this after a I installed headers and mid pipe. I would be riding along the freeway then when I got of the freeway and slowed the bike would stall. It started again almost immediataly when I pressed the button though. I took it in to my dealer and they adjusted a few bits, tps mainly I think, but it has never stalled since.

It's something to do with the bike leaning out on the freeway and the freer flowing exhaust not lettin the lambda sensor read quick enough to richen up when you slow down so therefore it stalls.
Hi hebs! not sure if it has to do with the pipes (since mine is stock)
Thanks for the response though! ill keep that in mind :)

#3 ·
Hi,

could be electrical problem.
check the fuses. I had this problem on my f4 too.
it was the cable of the speed sensor which had a bad isolation.
So sometimes it had contact to the metal around and fuse was gone.

Just an idea, but easy to check!

brgds,
DANIEL

#4 ·
Welcome! Also it has been deemed as a faulty kick stand switch. It may help you to do a search on stalling although you will be overwhelmed with information.

#6 ·
Hello Ikaros...from where do you hail? I'll ask the age old question: Does it have an alarm system fitted?

Then I'll ask a question more pertinent to your problem: Is the bike fully warmed up when this occurs?

#7 ·
I've had this same thing occur on my 1090, 4x now. It has happened both before & after installing my Arrow headers/mid-pipe (stock ECU, no remap). It happens when decelerating (closed throttle) & down-shifting from 3rd to 2nd, the bike just quits. It has happened on 3 occasions at the early stages of a ride, even though I typically let the bike (which is on a battery tender) warm up for several minutes before I take off. It also happened once after riding all day. There is no aftermarket alarm system fitted.
I came across this reply (Thanks jonadd) in one of the posts & thought it made good sense as to why this might be happening.
Cheers,
Glenn

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48125

"Ok, some issues. I read the entire stalling thread, and decided the issue was mostly riding style/technique. Being a trials rider I aspire to precise throttle control, and pride myself on being a smooth rider. I removed the external throttle return spring, and I always roll the throttle back against the stop before pulling in the clutch on decel. Those changes alone have all but eliminated stalling. I stalled 6 times in first 50 miles, 3 times in next 800+ miles, 2 of which were my omission, only one due to a stumble at idle. Idle still stumbles every now and then, but not often and usually not enough to stall.

Note I am not giving her gas with the clutch engaged, just holding the twistgrip back against the spring pressure. I like to use engine braking, so I decel hard in gear and she never stalls under those conditions, only with the clutch in and revs falling down to, and past, idle rpm. I have ridden a few light flywheel, highly tuned motorcycles with fuel injection throttle snatch, so I think in terms of rpm momentum, and just don't let the rpm's fall too low too rapidly with the clutch in. Mostly, I accept the fact that I bought an exotic racing derived bike that offers incredible performance at the expense of some relatively small drivability issues. Others may have greater problems with their Brutales, but for me on mine, stalling is a non-issue.

#12 ·
I've had this same thing occur on my 1090, 4x now. It has happened both before & after installing my Arrow headers/mid-pipe (stock ECU, no remap). It happens when decelerating (closed throttle) & down-shifting from 3rd to 2nd, the bike just quits. It has happened on 3 occasions at the early stages of a ride, even though I typically let the bike (which is on a battery tender) warm up for several minutes before I take off. It also happened once after riding all day.
Since having the mircotec fitted and disabling all the 'safety devices' mine has never stalled, with the MV standard and race ecu it did on the overun as you describe...I used to wonder if it was the tilt switch, now I will never know!

#8 ·
Ok I had my 1078 start doing this after a I installed headers and mid pipe. I would be riding along the freeway then when I got of the freeway and slowed the bike would stall. It started again almost immediataly when I pressed the button though. I took it in to my dealer and they adjusted a few bits, tps mainly I think, but it has never stalled since.

It's something to do with the bike leaning out on the freeway and the freer flowing exhaust not lettin the lambda sensor read quick enough to richen up when you slow down so therefore it stalls.

#10 ·
ok,mine was a bitch ,{hebs no insult intended} when I got it ,do you self a favour and go and get the throttle bodies syc,and then adjust your throttle idle ,i did mine manually,one screw outside the bike and another in the middle of the throttle bodies,now if you really want to get the 1078 just perfect ,read my threads,do as i have done and it will never ever stall ,period.

all the best ,hope you sort it out.

cheers eddy
no spell checker used.

#23 ·
My 990r2010 does the same. Intermittent & can't be made to do it, usually 2nd to 1st, heavy deacleration & heavy braking. Locked up rear wheel when it happened from 4th to 3rd, eekkk.

Must be a MV thing. But my mate said to try letting out clutch in a more controlled manor, this seems to give engine time to catch up with itself & also allows me to be alert to a stall better. So far since I've modified my riding style I've had no more stalls.

#20 ·
Hi guys,

thank you very much for your help and tips.
Sorry i wasn't responding, but i had a long time away from riding :/
I'll get to ride her again in about 4-5 weeks :yo: I'll let you know if ill have any news.

ps- being away, my brother has been riding her once in a while to keep the engine running, but he hasn't mentioned anything like that.

ps2- he told me he changed the battery cuz there was an issue (since i was away n not riding, i think it started dying, n had hard time starting the engine in the beginning and after that it died.the charger coming with the bike didnt help). But this can't be relevant with the whole "shutting-down" thing, right?

#21 ·
I think it's your wife with some telemetric device trying to prevent you from consuming too much fuel :thewife:

#25 ·
same problem but sure it's electrical

Hi, I've written much about my ongoing Brutale woes (2004 Brutale 750) and after a 5th repair this morning the bike started cutting out on me again. It's most likely electrical because it's not a stall, the bike just switches off completely, usually the panel comes back on partially at first but then fully and the pumps run and then the starter button fires her up. Sometimes she takes ages to fire up and the battery seems to struggle.

The stalling at traffic lights or in neutral are bearable and I've been told are an "MV thing" (I have an Arrow pipe and power commander fitted) but this switching off completely randomly while riding is extremely dangerous and I don't know what to do.

#26 ·
...just in addition the last repair was to the wiring, apparently the electrical components are fine but several wires were freyed and had to be replaced, when I took her in for the repair she wasn't running at all.

This is the second time she's been repaired to running condition by replacing wires, I think a new harness is in the cards but am I missing something thats causing the cut outs?

#27 ·
As I posted in your other thread, check the wiring connections. Stalling at all is NOT an "MV thing".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.