MV Agusta Forum banner

flashing the ecu?

4K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  eddypro 
#1 ·
Can someone explain exactly what flashing the ecu means? Thanks

#7 ·
:laughing::laughing: You're on your game today!

#9 ·
It is a somewhat erroneous description of what is done when a tech with appropriate equipment downloads new software into the ROM (memory) of the ECU. Basically they are overwriting the programming (we call it maps, but there is more to it than that word insinuates) with new programming.

#11 ·
Meaning should you have it done? If the tech has the latest version of software to correct some running condition caused by poor programming in the original, then yes. If it is to download the programming for a " kit" like race exhaust etc, that you have installed, then yes!

If it is just some guy with a program that he thinks is better than the factory's, then no, unless he is a knowledgable tuner and can make adjustments to the software for you bike specifically.

#12 ·
Thankyou for your info. The original dealer I purchased my f3 from dropped mv agusta so I have to go elsewhere. I spoke with the general manager at redline in Williamsburg VA friday. He said they could do all my warranty work and could also flash the ecu and dyno tune the bike. He claims a significant difference. To the good side of corse. There 3hours away. Made an appt to drop of the bike jan 5. Hope it all works out.

#14 · (Edited)
Exactly where online can I fin d the reviews you speak of? Thanks. Please dont beat around the bush. I consider all on this forum family. With that said if you got info that I may need to know please do tell. Either in the thread or p.m. if your not comfortable telling it out in the open. I would surely let you in on something if I felt you needed to know. Thanks again.

#15 ·
They are flashing new unrestricted race map and raising the rev limiter on mine as we speak. Will have it back mid-next week and will let you know if it fixed my issue. If it does then what Magnetti Mirelli told me was true. Sometimes PC V doesn't get along with the ecu and causes a software glitch, if this fixes my issue, a PC is never going in it again. I'll run the race ecu by itself until I feel like dropping the cash for Microtech.

#17 ·
Ondgas, the F3 does have updated software (map) that needs to be installed. The F3 has been through a few software updates. This is not unusual, Triumph, Ducati, even automobiles get updates occasionally. Ford is doing a recall to "reflash" the ECU on a couple of their new models for cooling system control problems.

If they plan to install the latest MV F3 ECU programming then it should yield improvements. What they will do on the dyno I don't know, since the ECU isn't actually tunable in standard form.

#18 ·
ondgas...I'm gonna wait and see what they do with yours before I take mine to them...be sure to let me know how it goes when you get it back. I spoke with Nathan at Frontline too...kinda got a little hateful. Told him that it was shitty that I had to find out through a text from you that they dropped MV instead of a call or letter from them. He told me it's bc the deal isn't finalized yet. Said it's basically a threat to drop them because they have been having problems getting tooling, support, logistics and things of that nature from MV.

#20 ·
Just got mine back. Will be in bike soon. Hope it sorts out my issue. The letter Redline included said, please take video of this thing going. It was a fun map to build. I fed them my specifics, this leads me to believe some effort was made to set it up for my bike. We'll soon find out.

#21 ·
How is that possible.

With all due respect mapping an ecu off of the bike is useless. How can they make an effort to map it for your bike if the two are miles apart. It's like having them do your valve clearances by mail order. The only thing they can change is the ignition curve so it'll probably feel better but it won't be mapped for your bike so still needs mapping?

Even with a microtec there is the possibility of mapping being required but the base maps are usually pretty close.

#28 ·
I thought that seemed odd as well. I know it needs to be on the bike for tuning. Not sure what they did. If anything. I dropped it off yesterday. Is in the bike by now. I have a race ecu also. I am ruling it out as the cause of my problem by getting a different ecu flashed.

#29 ·
I thought that seemed odd as well. I know it needs to be on the bike for tuning. Not sure what they did. If anything. I dropped it off yesterday. Is in the bike by now. I have a race ecu also. I am ruling it out as the cause of my problem by getting a different ecu flashed.
Did you 'play' with your ECU prior to the major problem occuring?

:popcorn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.