Okay, TV and F4 owners, talk to me. - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Okay, TV and F4 owners, talk to me.

So, I'm on the verge of selling my boat (never use the darn thing and have someone coming to look at it tonight) and have been enamored with the TV since its conception. I currently have an '08 312R in the garage that is getting quite uncomfortable to ride, but I don't really want to part with it anymore. Now, after hearing all the good news about the TV (non-Lusso), I want to hear some bad news. I've sat on one, but never taken one for a test ride. Seems very comfortable for my 6'3" frame. Not too concerned with the power as I have the F4 for all-out speed. Would like to take a passenger, commute, tour, blah blah blah. Things the F4 isn't built for. Anyway, how does this thing manage its heat? It gets quite hot where I live (115+F in the summer) and the F4 really doesn't like that. What kind of troubles have folks been having with the TV? I've read something about the '16 models having problems that were "solved" for the '17 model year.

Thanks in advance!

And for the record, I'm trying to decide between the TV, Moto Guzzi Griso 8v SE, and Yamaha XSR900. Only real reason the Yam is in the running is that there are no local MV or Guzzi dealerships, they're all a few hours away.
Go.Possum likes this.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol

Last edited by J_Spec; 06-12-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 04:32 PM

New Site Garage
115F is hot. TV should manage that whilst moving, get stuck in traffic and there maybe issues. A few weeks ago whilst in the Pyrenees I arrived at some roadworks on the uphill side of a pass (so had been working the engine hard up to that point). The ambient temperature was 90-95F, higher than I'm used to in the UK. Within 60 or so seconds the temperature display went red and an exclamation came up on the dash. Luckily the lights changed and and I quickly got on my way and the temperature gauge dropped to a normal level. Despite similar temperatures on the same trip I didn't encounter a scenario where this happened again, though the temp gauge was running just above half way some of the time where normally in the UK it runs just below half.

Would be interested to hear what they did on the 2017 model, and if effective in this regard is it retro fit-able to my 2016 TVL?

Love my Turismo, 'does what it says on the tin' and with a certain panache. For two up touring, so long as you're both, how should I put this... of athletic build... then I it would be fine.

Chas
MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso

Last edited by Bumpkin; 06-12-2017 at 04:34 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Interesting, so it looks like MVs still can't handle high ambient temps even with half the fairings? I wonder if a swap to Engine Ice or the like would quell some of the scorch. There are some areas here that are notorious for high traffic and terribly timed traffic lights, so commuting on the F4 is sketchy. If I know the light is a long one, I usually shut the bike down while I'm waiting. Luckily motorcycles can filter in CA, so that helps a bit. The last thing I would want is for a brand new TV to over heat and damage itself when there are no dealers that will touch it for a couple hundred miles.

I sadly may need to rethink my choices... Would still like to hear others weigh in on this, though.
Go.Possum likes this.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
The ambient temperature was 90-95F, higher than I'm used to in the UK. Within 60 or so seconds the temperature display went red and an exclamation came up on the dash.
Something is not right.

I've ridden my TVL in traffic with ambient temperatures exceeding 90F - temperature slider on the dash stayed in 60-70% range.

Granted, we've only had a few hot days here in Colorado so far this year. More hot weather is coming, it will be over 100F soon enough. I'll be happy to test and report
Marko G. likes this.

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso
2014 Ducati Monster 1200S
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Big Randaddy

Glad to see you still hanging around here Nick.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelsinelise View Post
Something is not right.

I've ridden my TVL in traffic with ambient temperatures exceeding 90F - temperature slider on the dash stayed in 60-70% range.
As I said this was an exceptional occurrence. Fan didn't seem to be able to make up the difference in airflow. Was already running hotter than usual, probably around 70%, due to incline, riding hard and ambient temperature.

My TVL is in for it's 9000 mile service next week. I'll mention this to the technician. Alps tour early next month so might encounter a similar situation.

I have switched off when stuck at long stop lights before. Have heard that using the kill switch for this is inadvisable, will raise this in another post while I'm thinking of it, though with a tank bag covering the ignition it's my only option.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:23 AM

I live in Las Vegas and the summers are hot, 100+ everyday. Last summer I was having overheating issues. The dealer replaced the radiator and so far so good. Keep in mind this is my daily driver and I deal with traffic on my commute. So this bike have already commute on 105 degrees days with no issues.
Go.Possum likes this.

2016 TVL
Las Vegas NV
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:32 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
As I said this was an exceptional occurrence. Fan didn't seem to be able to make up the difference in airflow. Was already running hotter than usual, probably around 70%, due to incline, riding hard and ambient temperature.

My TVL is in for it's 9000 mile service next week. I'll mention this to the technician. Alps tour early next month so might encounter a similar situation.

I have switched off when stuck at long stop lights before. Have heard that using the kill switch for this is inadvisable, will raise this in another post while I'm thinking of it, though with a tank bag covering the ignition it's my only option.
If you were at an high altitude maybe the thinner air caused a problem. I have ridden in France in 36c last year and although the engine temp was high and the fans whirled away it never gave a warning sign on the dash. That said I would rather not commute on an TV in constantly high temps.

I see you are looking at the Guzzi 8v engine. I had a 1200 Sport when living in Oz. The few times I had to ride in Sydney and it was hot weather meant the engine heat was very high. If you have long legs your knees could cook on the engine!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:07 AM

My TVRC is 2017 model, in Dubrovnik temp now are from 28 - 31*C, if i am driving "touristic" on open road and suddenly need to stop on road work or long traffic lights temp will rise 70% and fan will cool it down but needs time, but if i am driving "sport mode" 9000 - 11000 rpm for a half hour and then need to stop for a long traffic light temp will rise 80% and fan will run for ages!! Also if you are commuting in city from one traffic light to another for some time fan will run all the time, i share opinion with Bumpkin that fan is insufficient, but it will cool down just need more time. I never have exclamation mark for overheat engine so....

J-Spec, the bike is f..... awesome, piece of art, light, agile and comfy for long distance, will not talk about speed since you are driving F4 ;-))
Go.Possum likes this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:07 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickr69 View Post
If you were at an high altitude maybe the thinner air caused a problem.
That's a good point, was on the way up to Col du Tourmalet (2115m) if I recall. Not that near the top though. Haven't seen that error before or since. Like zzaraxx I have seen a lot of fan running when in traffic and in those situations it manages the temperature OK though gauge does run quite high, even in the UK. Much the same as my VFR with it's side mounted rads, in traffic or sub 30mph the fans run constantly as there's virtually no air flow.

Maybe the TV would benefit from a more efficient fan? Will ask dealer if there are any coolants that would have a significant effect on this issue.

Chas
MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode