Does this front tire wear seem unusual? - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Does this front tire wear seem unusual?

My last sport bike was a 2004 R1 and I don't remember having the front tire wear like this at 3K miles. What's weird is the rear tire is fine. Usually they go way before the front. If it is unusual, any opinions as to why it would wear that way? Possibly my rusty riding style?

For Silent Service, it's an MV Agusta 2014 F4RR, white/red with gold wheels.
Attached Images

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:42 AM

New Site Garage
Under inflated.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
^^^I was thinking that, too. A tire pressure issue. But then I saw the color combo and that loads the front unevenly because red is heavier than white. The reason for the triangulation is the gold wheels. Those tires don't like bling. I'd recommend the 2015 model, it doesn't have the same issues.

Now just where is that "tongue-in-cheek" moji.....?
fingertight likes this.

GAPALICIOUS II, Tellico Edition, Sept 27 - Oct 1, 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks guys. I was thinking that could be the issue although I do regularly check the pressure. Maybe I need to ALWAYS check the pressure. And thanks for the wheel tip SS. The MY14 does come with black wheels but the Miami drug dealer I bought it from had them gold plated. I think the bling helps to blind the competition behind me in turns.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM

New Site Garage
So what is the pressure you're looking at mate ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I'll have to check when I get home to see what it is now but I do keep it at 33 front and 33 rear which I believe is what is recommended.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:04 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
I'll have to check when I get home to see what it is now but I do keep it at 33 front and 33 rear which I believe is what is recommended.
Sounds low to me for road use mate, is that measured cold and recommended by tyre manufacturer or bike manual ?
At the end of the day, it's not unsafe as much as you loosing out on tyre life as you said, but probably also steering feel. Up the pressure 3-4psi and see how that feels.
saul likes this.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:51 AM

New Site Garage
On an 800 33/4f and rear would be OK but the heavier thousand I'd run more like 36f and a little more at back too

My mv was 33/4 and felt really good at this which is what they said on the pirelli site. The fork sticker said 38/9 but I found this lost 'feel'

However my aprilia is a good 25kg heavier and this definitely needed more at 36 & 40 as it felt like it was tucking on the lower pressures

On short pressures are very very important in my opinion
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 AM
Established Member

That's how my first tyre went after just over 2000 miles! They were down to the canvas before I noticed. Tyre pressures were good.
I did much of my early biking on 2-stroke race-reps so particularly aggressive on turn in and corner speed.
My new Michelin Pilots are heading the same way but lasting much longer.
This is the first bike I've had where the front wears much quicker than the rear.

Last edited by Stradas; 02-14-2017 at 02:14 AM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Interesting.
I run 32 psi front and rear on the road.

From what I'm seeing you aren't pushing the front hard at all and not leaning over to high lean angles either.
Cutting out the front tire at about half way over on each side indicates to me that you are scrubbing rubber off at your preferred lean angle. You aren't putting the outer edges or centre of the tire through the same stresses so I think this is just your riding style showing through on a very soft tire.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode