Tire selection - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tire selection

I have a question or poll to start. My TVL has stock tires, Pirelli Scorpion Trail's: They are not inspiring, they move around a bit!

Any one change their tires? if so what are you using?

Selection I'm considering:
Bridgestone S21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:59 PM

New Site Garage
Tyres are a very personal a subjective thing. The S21 is more sports orientated than a sports touring tyre but if that's what you feel you need then who's to stop you.

By all accounts the S21 is a great tyre and Bridgstone's claiming that it's capable of better mileage than the S20. However, to my mind at least, it seems a halfway house between full on sports and sports touring. Might be just what you, and your riding style, need?

Personally I'm sticking with sports touring tyres and replaced the original Scorpion Trails with Metzler Roadtech 01s at just under 3000 miles. Now on just over 4000 miles and they seem to be wearing well and feel pretty good wet or dry. Let's see how they wear towards the end, on my last bike I ran Michelin PR3s and PR4s which were great but had poor wear distribution in the latter stages of their lives. The Scorpions on the TV went the same way so maybe it's my riding style rather than the tyres. I only ride recreationally and do very little upright motorway mileage and, for me, edges of the front are usually the first thing to go.

Sports touring tyres, for my money (as I said; it's a personal thing), give enough grip, reasonable mileage and don't need much in the way of warming up. If I was on a sports bike things might be different.

P.S. It's probable that a mod will come and move this post to another area, rather than the TV section, as there is one specifically for tyres and suspension.
Tirebiter likes this.

Chas
MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso

Last edited by Bumpkin; 09-12-2016 at 02:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpkin For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tire selection update

After 1,000 miles this past weekend in many types of road terrain, dry-rough-pebbles and wet. I don't like the Scorpion tires! I have 3k on bike now and the front tire shoulders are worn substantially.

As far a cost, I would much rather give up longevity for grip and confidence. The set of S21's should give me longer life than the Scorpions and will cost $225 for both, which is 25% less than closest price ST specific tire. And I will get a $50 visa card rebate 4-6weeks later reducing price to $175 for the set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tire change

Made the tire change to Bridgestone S21. Best move I could have made. BUT, if you have stock exhaust, the can will need to be removed to get the wheel off. It's OK for me since I replace the stock can with FM Projects at same time as tire change. These tires grip and roll sooooo much better than the stock garbage.
Attached Images

Donsy likes this.

No one is going to ruin this day for me!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Hi Franka 65. Glad you went stickier with your new tyre choice. Scorpions strike me as a good tyre for part time unsealed road riding, not really what we ride our MV's on even though a TV could hack that kind of riding okay I expect.

So with S21 you have jumped a couple of classes to a road biased sports tyre. I think a Diablo Rosso III from Pirelli is this sort of equivalent product (and possibly better, but I haven't used the S21 yet). I think a sensible tyre choice and I hope it's ideal for you. Try the Pirelli Rosso III next time if you like the S21, and it's nice to have Italian tyres on an Italian bike if there isn't much difference between them.

That being, said, if you do for example want a bit more tyre life I can honestly thoroughly recommend Bridgestone T30evo. It's a sports touring tyre with a dual compound rear. But honestly, it's got so much grip on the road I've been converted from softer tyres on my road bikes. And they wear very well even on very heavy bikes. Give them a go.

If you stray near a track day occasionally however, then the T30evo is not for you. By the way, I rate Pirelli's sports tyres higher than Bridgestone in my limited experience, but Bridgestone sports touring tyres that I have used are brilliant. I'm getting a very short life from Bridgestones Dot legal Race tyres (RS10evo) compared to Pirelli's Supercorsa SC for example, and the Pirelli grips just as hard.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 PM

I would be getting the Michelin Pilot Road 4 as soon as the Scorpions wear out. I have the Road 3 on my Duc Sport Classic and it grips extremely well in the dry and especially in the wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 PM

I would be getting the Michelin Pilot Road 4 as soon as the Scorpions wear out. I have the Road 3 on my Duc Sport Classic and it grips extremely well in the dry and especially in the wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:53 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I got Diablo Rosso III on my TV (mine was used one, and tyres got changed few week before I bought the bike). They are good, and I do not have any concerns about them at this stage. However, I'm looking forward to see how they wear at their end of life. Depending how long they last, I would eventually consider T30-Evo from Bridgestone...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 AM

New Site Garage
I use Conti Sport Attack 3s on my B4 and love them. Really grippy and have done touring to trackdays on them. I get about 5/6000kms out of a rear... a note that they went better than the S20 evo tyres I had on over a weekend trackday.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Established Member

I'm getting ready to order a set of tires, I currently have about 6,000 miles on the stock Pirelli rosso 2's and there is about 1000 miles left before they are as square as a box..been thinking about the rosso 3's but to be honest I think 7,000 miles from a set of hi-po tires is pretty good. I don't have a good reason to change the brand or from 2's to 3's unless the 3's are a better tire, I read all the hype..reviews..etc. would rather hear from the guys that have used them..Im on a 800 dragster rr...is there any difference?..I think the 3's are a little cheaper in price..

P.S..the Dunlop Q3 is getting better reviews on some of the forums..

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by masterspin; 04-01-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode