MV Agusta Forum banner

MY 2010 Tanks Problems

16K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  WFOF4Pilot 
#1 ·
We've heard enough about MY 2010 tank problems to know that it's a frequent warranty issue -- mines been bulging for a while, my dealer has been trying to get me a replacement --

Just heard from MV USA -- that they wont replace unless its leaking.

Motorcycle art my ass.

Any ideas on how to escalate this?

#3 ·
don't worry it's an MV:wtf:

I seriously don't know why we the public tolerate this crap just to have an exclusive brand. Pay more...get less...makes no sense. Sorry to hear. That is why I won't buy a bike with a plastic gas tank ever again. Too much of a PITA if you don't have easy access to ethanol free fuel.

You would think MV would pay attention to what has happened with the ducati and aprilia tanks seeing as how this is a problem that has been apparent since before the MY10+ bikes came out.

#15 ·
Tank

Correction: The problem is the tank, not the fuel.

If the original statement was true, MV (Aprila, Ducati) would have never replaced failed tanks under warranty. The one thing we all have going for us is that MV did replace prior tanks under warranty. So, the precedence has been set. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so keep making noise.

#9 ·
Alcohol bulge?

Corn is for food and booze not fuel though booze has fueled a great many problems throughout history including this one. I have two 1098 Ducatis that have the same issue with tank swelling. Crappy choice of material for a fuel tank being sold in a country that uses ethanol in their gasoline. The problem is this is not secret that there is a non-compatibility issue so why do they do it? I would have been happy to have paid a little more for an aluminum tank right off the get go and not have this issue to deal with all on my dime. A new plastic tank I am sure is not cheap so let the customer pay the difference in the cost and call it good. Aluminum tanks for the Ducatis run $2,000.00 US, I have not checked on the MVs yet.
I am lucky though in that I have a filling station close by that has 100% fossil fuel sans the Jack Daniels. This does put me in a shallow orbit around this one station however. My riding fits with this and if I do want to go for a longer trip I have a 999r with a steel tank.
Fuel at the track is 100% gasoline though it is more expensive but so is the whole track experience so spending another ten bucks for fuel is not that big of a deal for me. Riding on the street these days has really lost it's appeal for me. The track is kicking my ass because of my age of 62 so the street might be my only choice in the future. I need to get my fat ass in better shape if I want to continue doing track days and my dream of racing. I have a feeling this summer is going to be my last chance for that one to come true unless my order for testosterone pills does what they say it does. :) That may bring up a completely different problem of trying to ride with a raging hard on.

#10 · (Edited)
I've asked in Europe for this issue...will see.
I'm owner F4 10+ and all it's OK, and I've not heard nothing about in others owners in Spain or Italy...I'll will ask in UK.

Remembering one pic:
Red Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

But this issue is known, it's located in list problems F4 10+.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45207
People really don't know what is the cause if it's only happen in USA.
Ones are sure is etanol...anothers not....

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Not Sure?

People really don't know what is the cause if it's only happen in USA.
Ones are sure is etanol...anothers not....
Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
It's the Ethanol. It separates and seeps into the plastic, causing the plactic to react unfavorably. This seems to be accelerated in Humid conditions. (like summer, in Georgia).
I'd bet my left nut on it.
What else would it be caused by? (don't even bother).

#11 · (Edited)
That's my fuel tank in the picture.
It almost doesn't fit on the bike anymore. Totally have to force it on using some leverage to get the tank mount bolts to line-up and that's split the rubber grommet.
A new "PLASTIC" tank from MV is $2240.00 What a joke.
I can get an Aluminum Tank handmade for the same price, and that would take about 4-6 months.
MV is pretending that there isn't a problem. I'm not impressed.
Some Chemist or Rocket-Scientest type might do well to come-up with a solution that counter-acts the damage to the plastic, like drying it out, so it shrinks back to the Original Size, but that sounds like MAGIC, to me, when I Type it.
This is really Not-Acceptable on a $20,000 Motorcycle.

#13 ·
The issue is that they used to warranty replace these... now they don't which sucks @ss. so I guess anyone with a MY2010 and newer bike we just fend for ourselves.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket carbon tank?

#16 · (Edited)
It is no use to depends on warranty, if it keeps repeating. No peace on mind.
MV Agusta should take responsibility for their Plastic tank supplier, who had to have know the issues with the ethanol, because this problem has surfaced before in the U.S. with other manufactures who do warranty their mistakes.

A: U.S. market bikes should have then come with a warning label to not use Ethanol Fuel in their bikes. (without first coating the inside of the tank).

or B: MV should have coated all the Plastic tanks bound for the U.S. before leaving the factory.

If they don't take responsibility for this problem, I tend to regard them as a crooks.

What possible excuse could they have, not to replace it?

Replace mine one time, and I'd use one of the Coatings available before
I ever put any fuel in it, at my own expense.

I would have done this in the first place, If I'd know about the possible problem, as a consumer, it's their responsibility to give this warning, just look at all the other warning stickers that come standard on the bike.:banghead::blah::banghead:

#22 ·
Very depressing.
Don't let it get you down.
I Love my MV F4.
Stuff like this can occur from time to time from any manufacture. Compare this to Lamborgini's that burst into flames................:wtf:

The main thing is that Mv Agusta does what is RIGHT, and stands WITH their Customers and Stands behind their products.
Then, for me, All is forgiven, and I may be a customer for LIFE.

#26 ·
Not liking what I'm reading here as far as MV not warrantying swelling tanks. I sure hope that's not true.
I was at my dealer a few days ago, & asked for an update for my '11 1090RR swelling tank warranty claim that was submitted & approved back in April. They are supposed to have emailed MV (& copied me) asking for an update. I don't expect to hear anything since Italy is pretty much on Holiday this month. However, I do expect to get some sort of update early next month.
An aluminum tank would be awesome, but I don't see that happening unless it's a custom job, at my own expense. At the very least they should send a new tank that's had the interior coated at the factory or pay to have the coating applied by the dealer before installing the new tank. Man I hope they take care of you.
Good luck,
Glenn

#29 · (Edited)
Here is the letter, retyped verbatim, from Mr. Tang Wu at MV AGUSTA USA, LLC

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012
To: Service (Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay)
Subject: RE: TAMPA 1090RR FUEL TANK

Jeff, (Service Manager)

Concerning the fuel tank issue, at the moment unless there is a possibility of a safety issue (i.e. leaking fuel, improper fit, softening tank, etc) I would ask that you let the customer know MV Agusta will replace his fuel tank once a solution has been found by the fuel tank manufacturer. There is a limited stock of the original batch of tanks which will most likely result in the same issue and those should be reserved for safety related repairs. If you feel the customer will not accept this answer, please give me a call to discuss at 215-781-XXXX

Thanks
-Tang

Tang Wu
MV AGUSTA USA, LLC
10 Canal Street, Suite 224
Bristol, PA 19007

My thought is that the simplest, least expensive solution for the tank manufacturer would be to apply a suitable protective internal coating (like some that have been suggested) on any existing tanks they have & all tanks made in the future.

An email was sent a couple of weeks ago requesting an update, which has not been responded to yet. I'm sure that has more to do with Italy being on Holiday this month than anything else. Anyway my service manager, Jeff is going to call Mr. Wu directly on Tuesday to ask for an update.
Hopefully I'll have an update later in the week. I'll keep you all posted.
Cheers,
Glenn

#32 ·
I'm running Ethanol free fuel on my 14. Its the only way to go, no joy in this. The manufacturer have a poor contractor making the tanks and pawning customers off blaming it on their supplier to buy time. We did not buy the bike from their supplier, the tank is their responsibility to correct for us. That looks ugly by the way...Id research what is the law concerning spares for vehicles and reasonable time to fix material defects. The warranty agreement is ~30 days reasonable for repair I believe.

#33 ·
I have heard that when Ducati were sent back to the factory because of this problem the tanks were not out of shape. It was determined that when they were emptied of fuel and sit for a while they return to the original form.

I have not confirmed that. But sounds plausable.

#34 ·
This is true. The bulging and misshaping is caused by ethanol infiltrating the resin matrix. As it sits empty the ethanol will/should evaporate out and the tank return to normal.

As far as the tank replacement - Last February Ferraccis contacted me and asked to send a pic of my tank. (They weren't prompted as I wasn't entering any warranty claim or anything - seemed fine) 2 months ago, I got a call my new tank is here and they sent it to me to replace. I think MV is trying to be proactive about it, but maybe the dealer network is lax on it. FBF is a great dealer to me, so i may have been fortunate.

#40 ·
Just curious if there's way to minimise the issue.
Looks like your bike was affected on the LHS so maybe where the fuel level is high on that side whilst on its side-stand and that area is particularly prone - just a thought.
I bought myself a £12 battery operated pump for easy top ups at home from a 25L Jerry-Can so if I know I'm not using the bike for a couple of weeks, I might remove most of the fuel.
Not the best solution I know................................

#41 ·
I am no expert on polymer science but, I asked a young man who is and he said that the HDP ( High density polythene ) the tanks are made out of reacts with water in the fuel more than the ethanol.

I know that ethanol is hygroscopic and that over time and at lower temperatures a process called stratification takes place and the water sinks to the bottom of the tank...I don't know where the ethanol goes . Is it lighter than the gasoline ?

I must have a more in depth chat with the guy and find out what is actually happening at chemical level..well in lay mans terms for me.

joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.