After 14 months my ZRX sees Daylight...! - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

After 14 months my ZRX sees Daylight...!

After her extensive resto mod my 1200r ZRX got to see daylight for the first time in a long time...

She was due at Lisburn Car Electrics to have the headlight alignment done before MOT..

So I was able to take her out for a brief spin this morning before MOT @4:55 today.....(Sat 8th April)

Took it round to Phillip McCallens shop as he had an open day there and there were hundreds of bikes...!!

Hutchy .....Glenn Irwin...,etc were there and getting interviewed.....Hutchy was selling and signing his book.

My bike went down a storm at this event with millions of questions from many people.....

Looks stunning in the sunshine and the Kerker sounds amazing..!!!

(Hope the MOT man thinks so.......LOL)

Soon as she is through the MOT...then it will be a suspension setup by McCallen......then I'm off round the Antrim coast road to the Giants Causeway for a spin..!

Needless to say when that happens I will post up some better photos.....but this is how she looked today...

No I am not missing two fingers.....just holding the key before I got off the bike...Lol

She passed the MOT...but it is a little disconcerting as you have ride your bike onto a set of 'rollers' that are operated by a technician at the centre...

The front wheel goes in first then he switches on the rollers it 'pulls' the front wheel left/right until it finally settles and as you apply the front brake to stop the rollers.,the bike jumps back out of the rollers.

The braking strength of the front brakes is measured and displayed on a monitor...then you ride forward so the back wheel goes in and the same process is gone through with the rear brake.....

That is just one of the tests of the MOT...afterwards they give you a printout of the results whether it is a Pass or Fail.....mine passed.!

So now I'll get some road tax on her (she is already insured)......and I'm good to go

Brian.
JDS, fingertight and mike63 like this.

Last edited by BG Wells; 04-17-2017 at 05:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BG Wells For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:25 PM

How much did you bung the tester to pass that exhaust?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew fotheringham View Post
How much did you bung the tester to pass that exhaust?
I was trying to keep her quiet (sorta..!)...but he blipped the throttle to make sure it snapped back as it should

Needless to say he was very understanding....!!

(We race motorcycles on the public roads over here @ 200MPH )
MRT and mike63 like this.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:27 AM

New Site Garage
Very Nice Brian worth every moment of your time looks just superb and a testament to you skill, I have to ask was your hair grey before you started the project.
I also have a very understanding MOT guy, luckily. The Brutale sounds like a banshee on heat.

Rochester, Kent. UK
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys.....some may be surprised why I got Lisburn Car Electrics to align the headlight for me whennit is a very simple job with a screwdriver against a wall after dark.....?

Yes I know about the headlight. ...however they are 'Very stringent' at the MOT centre and you have to bring your bike up to a painted Datum line on the floor and your headlight is shone into a prisim they have on rails

The technician looks down through the top of the prism to ensure it is perfect....if it is not you Fail.

The place I took it to is the only place in town that has the facility to align it prior to the test..and I did not want to risk a fail as you then have to book a retest for a future date at an additional cost..

Cars are treated in exactly the same way...Everything is thoroughly checked....if it is not perfect...it fails.!

NOTHING is taken at face value (even brand new tyres.!) ....everything is checked.!..... (EU regulations) However other regions of the UK are different as England does not have dedicated MOT centres.

They still have to get their vehicles MOT'd ., but by a local garage...not in the same environment as here.

On the plus side side ., you know when you pass that your vehicle is 100% roadworthy.

However in many ways it it a money making racket as there are 5 lanes at these centres and cars/bikes/vans.,and even 40' articulated lorries all in line in each of their respective lane.

Every vehicle on the road here HAS to go through......even vintage cars and vehicles from the 1920's.!!

And they are ALL subjected to the same testing...!!! (Every year)

It is £32.50 to have your vehicle tested (and you have to book it in sometimes weeks in advance).....if it fails you are given a list of things it failed on.

You then have to book a retest @ a further £18.50 .. (you may have to wait a few days/week's for that).....so in the meantime you are "off the road"...

If your vehicle has not got an MOT certificate then you cannot get it road taxed....and if you are caught by the cops.,then it is a visit to the court and penalty points on your driving licence (12 points and you loose your licence).

We just have to suck it up and comply with the system....

I could have adjusted the light with a screwdriver against a wall etc......but these guys at the center at Nazi's and cannot be reasoned with...

Check out this little video...including the headlight alignment check early in the test....

They even test the wheel alignment with a long 'straight edge'.....LOL..!! Ludicrous as the back wheel is wider than the front.

Nazi's....I tell you.!

look at this comment from someone viewing that video...

"I am surprised he let you away with the wheel bearings, having said that the tester you got is a decent guy unlike some at Ards test centre. The last time I took a bike in to the Ards centre they failed the headlight but once checked by a mechanic no mods or adjustments were needed , on the retest the headlight passed even though nothing had been altered since the failed headlight test."

I will revisit my other build thread with a few more updates that I will do.

Oh and she was built to be ridden..!! (Just not in the rain.!)

Thanks for being with me during the Journey

Brian.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
That U-turn could be dicey in wet conditions!

Except for the prism and the little dyno, it is the same here in Massachusetts, USA....depending on where you go. It is certainly not that standardized here.

GAPALICIOUS II, Tellico Edition, Sept 27 - Oct 1, 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:11 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
The bike looks amazing Brian. Well done the suspension components are top work. All very nice. And Chuck is correct, with the exception of the prism stuff and straight edge alignment they could be relatively strict in the US as well, but here in the state of North Carolina all I have to do is call my buddy and give them a VIN number and my bikes are inspected :-)

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS

Looking good, Billy Ray!..

Nice work Brian and the bike looks the part...

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:15 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Great work Brian,bike looks fantastic.
Thanks for sharing the restoration.

Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Big Randaddy

Now that you're done.......it's time to seek it and do something else. I claim first in line.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode