1090RR MY11 completely dead - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
1090RR MY11 completely dead

Hi all,
I am just done with some customization of the bike and was about to test fire the bike to listen to the new exhaust... Nothing happened, the bike is completely dead as if no electricity going to the bike. Funny part is when I first connected the battery the red engine oil light lit up, but when I inserted the key and switch it on nothing is happening, the red engine oil light went off and nothing, zero, nada....
Checked all fuse, all good. All wire connection are normal.....
What am I facing here? Dead ECU? The bike ran perfectly before the body, exhaust and wheel mods...

Thanks in Advance

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 AM

New Site Garage
Did you remove the battery during the mods? If so check it's in the correct way round - very easy mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500 (Current)
Kawasaki Z1000 (Sold)
Brutale 910R (Crashed)
Honda VTR 250 (Sold)

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I'm with Gremmin, you either put the battery in backwards...these batteries go in on their side with the negative(-) pole facing forward...or you haven't hooked up all of the wires.

Recheck your work against the images in the workshop manual.

GAPALICIOUS II, Tellico Edition, Sept 27 - Oct 1, 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
I have checked the obvious including fuse, relays, every single wire connectors, possible pinched handlebar wire, etc. I marked every single connectors I unplugged so there is zero chance of that mistake. I went as far as opening the speedo checking the continuity on the PCB board one by one, checked the pins on ecu for continuity from top rows to bottom rows all checked out ok (as far as my knowledge and the ex MV mechanic working with me on the bike). We suspected short on the wiring harness going to the brain (speedo) because when the ECU harness being disconnected and we give power to the mains the red oil warning light on the speedo remains lit.
I will work together with the ex MV mechanic tomorrow to check all continuity on all wires going to the speedo and possibly every single wire on the entire harness.

We highly suspect short on wiring, I have worked with various bike brands for ages and by far MV use the skinniest wire compared to other brands...so I think this is a real possibility....oh, they also mix and match connectors, I found out that the charging system regulator wire connectors is an el cheapo non waterproof wiggly white plastic type and mine is completely melted effectively being welded shut by the melt *LOL*....gonna change that out to proper waterproof connector tomorrow. But I still love MV Fortunately I am immune to the agony of working on my rides (cars and bikes) for ages, so let the adventure begin!!!

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 06-13-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
What did you do that would have caused that?

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
What did you do that would have caused that?
Nothing, I did not touch any wire nor any system other than completely disconnecting the battery, speedo, tail light and headlight before I work on the bike.
I only modified the body with vinyl wrap, changed the wheels, modified the exhaust, Handlebar riser and nothing else... All are bodywork.

Nothing to brag about but I been working (for hobby) on various bikes and cars including electrical system, once went as far as performing simple repair on fried ignition resistor on a Bosch Porsche ECU, so I know my way around a fuel burning contraption and this is the strangest of them all. I really am scratching my head. Have to admit this is the first time ever I work on an Italian exotic and boy what a first challenge

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 06-13-2017 at 09:29 AM.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 AM

If you did nothing that would affect the wiring harness at the point that you "suspect" there may be a problem, then you are not looking at what may be the problem's cause. You are guessing.

The problem will be found within the work that has been done. It is the mantra of all things that go wrong: Whatever was done has caused the new problem.

Take a picture of the battery compartment...the battery and the connections... for me. Be a sport!

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
At first I suspected the exhaust guy playing funny connecting the battery terminals perhaps being curious with.such an exotic bike then after accidentally left it connected or touching while welding the exhaust but upon further inspection on the critical parts (terminals/connectors/speedo/ECU/relays/fuses) I can't find anything that give that indication. There must be something with obvious sign of being fried if this was caused by the welder with that megavolt welder if it was the root of the problem.

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 06-13-2017 at 09:50 AM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
If you did nothing that would affect the wiring harness at the point that you "suspect" there may be a problem, then you are not looking at what may be the problem's cause. You are guessing.

The problem will be found within the work that has been done. It is the mantra of all things that go wrong: Whatever was done has caused the new problem.

Take a picture of the battery compartment...the battery and the connections... for me. Be a sport!
Yes the best I could do is guess right now for I am 100% sure I put A back to A and B back to B, I am very particular about that matter. Like I said on the otjer thread, the helpers are only doing the heavy lifting and I do all the critical parts.

I did the mantra you mentioned and for the life of me I can't find any explainable fault/mistake. The logic behind my suspicion is due to the quality of the wires being used, I was thinking that perhaps all along I had a time bomb on the harness waiting to explode and it exploded right now coincidentally at the same time I did my mods... All guess work right now sad to admit. But seriously I did not touch any vital parts at all and yes I have checked and re checked the battery connectors, minus to minus and plus to plus, plus terminal and wire facing rear, I still remember it like it just happened a second ago. The saying opening a can of worm came to mind right now...

I am home right now, it's 9:36PM here *LOL*. I will document and record as much as I can tomorrow and post it here.

Thanks a lot Chuck, you've been very supportive.... Love the forum

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 06-13-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 AM

If your ECU was in the bike, and the welder was welding directly on the bike, and the ECU was not isolated from the bike, that could be a cause.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode