The Waiting Game Sucks - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
RVJ

The Waiting Game Sucks

Hey Crew,

Is anyone else anxious about MV’s future? Without a doubt, I think they are the greatest motorcycles money can buy and I currently have an 800RR on order, (since my last one was stolen), but I am genuinely worried that, a) it might never show up, b) will never get (good) support because the company goes under…

Dealers here in NZ have no solid information about availability of stock and it seems there is a large back-order on popular current models resulting in a ridiculously low volume of bikes arriving here, whilst ETA’s seem to keep pushing further back each time I enquire. What’s it like in other regions? Is MV any better supported?

I know a lot of you have been with the marque for years and have seen all the company / financial dramas before, but the recent financial and legal debacles, subsequent choice of dubious investors and the new plans to shift production to South East Asia all sit badly with me as a fan and as a consumer.

I seriously want to keep waiting and hoping, but am losing some faith in the past few months… Any words of wisdom to share with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 AM

New Site Garage
My local (very small) dealer just received a delivery of new bikes. IF that is of any use.

M

Take a chance while you still got the choice.
F3-800 / RVF400. Lancashire, England.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:21 AM

I have many of the same concerns as you. In my neck of the woods, parts and dealer support isn't so conveinant either . And with the closest dealer to me closing (1 hour away) , I don't expect things to get better.

I can say that this is the best bike I ever owned, it makes decisions a bit more complicated.

Since I already own one , there are a few options:
1. Try to sell it. The current market for MV in my area isn't so good. MV dealers around here aren't even interested in mine as a trade in, so what does that tell you? It's not like my bike needs to be reliable transportation for me. I also own it outright, so it's not like it costs me anything. I'm less inclined to sell..
2. Tool up and gather parts. This is what many seem to do, and immerse themselves in the hobby. Not really a bad way to go if you have some mechanical acumen . Parts will always be available. But best to stockpile the harder to get stuff and the basic tune up parts should be easy to get.
3. Sit back and wait for things to really get better for the company . Just be prepared for the the fact that things might not ever really improve.

I won't be in the market for a new MV until they appear to be more stable. Just my .02

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt M. For This Useful Post:
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:04 AM

Do not be concerned my friends. The news of MVs demise is a bit premature
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
RVJ

Cheers. @Matt M. Yeah, I came to MV from Husaberg, so maybe I'm the problem?

If only anything else was half as good... Either way, I can't even buy the MY16 I want here in NZ as there are none in stock, and there's still no news of an ETA for the RR, so I guess I'll wait and see what happens. Might buy a Speed Triple in the interim until sort themselves out. I really don't want to see MV go the way Ducati did, (with their marketing-lead bike designs) but at the same time, some middle ground between the sensibilities of an AMG partnership and the YOLO-ness of the Italia/Russian playboy love affair would be nice... Best option ever would be if Yamaha bought them. At least then I could get one, and we could have Rossi instead of a F1 driver!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 PM

MV currently have 524 dealers worldwide. They aim to make around 5000 bike a year going forward. That's about 9 bikes per dealer per year. Even if they cut down their model range to 3 that makes 3 of each model per dealer per year. How on earth is that sustainable? Either MV make more bikes or withdraw from some markets altogether.
The Following User Says Thank You to dawsor For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsor View Post
MV currently have 524 dealers worldwide. They aim to make around 5000 bike a year going forward. That's about 9 bikes per dealer per year. Even if they cut down their model range to 3 that makes 3 of each model per dealer per year. How on earth is that sustainable? Either MV make more bikes or withdraw from some markets altogether.

I think we're going to see less dealers. It doesn't make sense to be one if you only sell a half dozen bikes a year. Projected production figures say they should only have around 250 to 300 dealers. I'm okay with that as long as my dealer stays in the fold. They said they were staying as they have been a dealer since 2000 and seen it all. That's the public statement, they haven't closed up yet, but they don't have any new MV's in stock. We'll see what they really do.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
RVJ

Beyond the questionable business practices and ethics, (that may or may not be an issue for some) the lack of stock and ongoing support are the big issues for me.

Would you still be keen to buy a new MV if it were produced at the Varese factory, i.e. came from the proposed Malaysian factory? I guess it shouldn't make a difference... If dawsor's maths is correct, their current production and distribution makes for terribly low volumes globally, which means poor cash flow, which means ongoing delays and poor support for us.

Anyway, I'm kinda thinking its all a bit too hard with MV at the moment. The Aprilia and Triumph "rider eco-systems" are very healthy and pretty attractive about now. I've since ridden the Speed Triple R, and didn't like it much. I'm now looking into a Tuono 2017 as it has some great new tech and seems to be considered "best in class" by riders and media for several years running. Not as pretty as the MV, but you dont need to look at it when you're holding on for dear life! Test ride this weekend...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Mv makes one heck of a product, but their business model is and always been a little quirky. Check out the KTM Super Duke too, unless your not in the market for a big thundering twin.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
RVJ

Cheers Matt. I ended up test riding the Tuono Factory RR. Its epic... I thought nothing was better than the MV's, but the Tuono is faultless... Defo the bike for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode