Shop to service alternator in Los Angeles? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Shop to service alternator in Los Angeles?

Anyone know of an automotive electric shop in Los Angeles that would be game to service the alternator out of a Brutale 750? Based on other posts, it seems like a lot of shops are sissies about working on bike alternators or the MV one in particular because the regulator is built-in.

My last battery got worn out far too quickly and I'm pretty sure it's because my bike is pushing 15 V and overcharging it. I checked with Yuasa hoping the spec in the MV manual was overly cautious, but Yuasa said 15 V would indeed ruin the battery.

Going to take a crack at removing the alternator this weekend, would love to find somewhere local to take it for a check/rebuild if needed

thanks

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Chris;
Call Peerless Auto Parts 310-856-4810 and ask them

one of the last REAL auto parts stores

most regulators are built in

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 05-19-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 PM

Chris,
I recall 'Gremmin' having posted ND part numbers for (one or all of) alternator, rectifier, and regulator here in this forum, search and ye shall find.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:41 PM

Thumbs up ?

Chris;
Read the 7 page explanation of how the charging system works in the service manual

My Brutale 910R idles at 14.79V, above idle 14.81V ...... battery lasted 8 years, standard Yuasa

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
email, PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Chris;
Read the 7 page explanation of how the charging system works in the service manual

My Brutale 910R idles at 14.79V, above idle 14.81V ...... battery lasted 8 years, standard Yuasa

Oh man, I'd love to find out that I'm chasing ghosts and can just get a new battery. Although I'm nearly at the point of having my alternator removed, but those trials belong in a different thread

My Yuasa battery already needs to be replaced after only a couple of years. After a few days of riding, it struggles to start and voltage drops as low as 9V during start (even fresh off the charger, the start load will drop it to 10.5V but it'll still start confidently). What I'm trying to sort out is whether my charging system is overcharging and prematurely wearing the battery. I don't want to have to buy new battery in another couple of years and constantly wonder whether my bike will start. I figured the best way to be sure of that would be to have the alternator tested out on a bench.

After trickle charging my battery over night, it reads 12.6V. When the engine is at temp, from idle up to 2,000rpm I've had voltage readings of:
first time starting after reinstalling battery (just starting, no ride) - 15V
next day, first ride of 8 miles/6 on the highway, outside temp 60ºF - 14.69V
bike parked for 9.5 hours, outside temp 62ºF - 14.98V at idle to 2,000rpm. At 3,000-4,000 rpm, voltage fluctuates semi-rapidly anywhere in the range of 14.3-14.8

Workshop manual says 12.6-14.3V @ 2,000rpm

Also have a Microtec, but if I'm understanding posts on another thread, the Microtec bypasses the "sense" connection so the ECU shouldn't be a factor?

chris chandler
2004 Brutale S
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up ?

Chris;
To me it seems a connection issue.....

disconnect the battery, clean the terminals apply Dielectric grease
clean both ends of the wire from the alternator, grease
inspect and clean the charging system fuse, grease
inspect and clean both ends of the wire from the battery to the solenoid, grease
then....
go to AutoZone they'll test the charging system and battery
come to my house, I'll test it
Best go to Peerless Auto Parts and John will use the latest electronic test equipment ..... it's free

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
email, PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
The Following User Says Thank You to theknurl For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
inspect and clean the charging system fuse,
this was the source of my bike intermittently unwilling to start, battery charging fuse was bad/corroded.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode