Slight Bulge in Tank - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Slight Bulge in Tank

Hello everybody,
I've noticed a slight bulge on the top, left side of my tank (1090RR) about where the left "R" in the 1090RR logo is. Being that the tanks on these bikes are plastic & there is no other MY10+ Brutes within 300 miles of where I live, can anyone tell me if this is normal? It feels pretty solid so I figure it is probably normal, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has noticed this.
Sorry no pic, I figured if this is normal you will know what I'm describing.
Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Glenn

x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM

please post pic my mv is a 2010 1090 and no bulging as of yet 5k miles on it in 1year 5 months of using 91 octance USA gas with 10% ethanol in it the entire time
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM

did you buy the bike new or used? This happened to my step son's SV that he had purchased used. The tank looked perfect but it started a little bubble that grew. When he finally broke the raised bit, he had a handful of crumbled bondo. Previous owner had been down and attempted to "fix" the tank. There was a small pinhole allowing gas to seep out! He had to have the tank professionally repaired (welded) and repainted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you love something set it free, if it comes back you've just high sided!
"Get on the fire engine!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Brutale 1078RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I bought the bike brand new. It had not even made it to the showroom floor, it was still being ucrated/ prepped when the dealership owner showed it to me.
The bulge is very slight, but in the right light/angle you can see it. I will try posting a pic later on. However I'm not sure it will show anything.
Thanks for the responses.
Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Established Member

No deformities detected...

I am however, keeping a close watch on my 1090RR tank. I also have a Ducati with a plastic tank so I am hyper aware of this condition. I scoured this forum prior to buying my 1090RR and there were no reported incidents of tank deformity on any Brutale. There were a few on the F4's however. Maybe it is the shape / thickness of the tank that predisposes it to deformity when exposed to ethanol? i.e. the tank on my Streetfighter is very thin. I can squeeze it with my legs while riding and feel it deform. Not so with the Brutale.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

The tank on my bike definitely feels very solid. If I push on the bulge there is no deflection. The bike is kept in my garage (does not sit in the sun) & is not exposed to extreme temp changes. Fuel has never (as of yet) been spilled/splashed on the tank. It has probably always been this way, I just never noticed it until recently. If I notice it getting any worse I will bring it in for warranty.
Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Established Member

It might not be a bad idea to stop by the dealer to make them aware if it is conveinient for you, just so there is a record. My closest dealer is 160mi away

Last edited by jones525; 04-18-2012 at 08:57 AM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Will do. Fortunately I have a dealer only half an hour away. If I get a chance I will go there this evening to show them the tank.

x
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well I brought my bike to the dealer today. They took pictures & are going to send them to MV. The service manager definitely saw the bulges & agreed they definitely don't look normal. With that said, I've definitely decided I want it replaced as I consider it a factory defect.
MVs are noted for their "fit & finish" as well as "attention to detail" & the more I think about it the more it bugs me that, albeit slight, the bulges are definitely there. So let the fun begin!
Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Established Member

any pictures?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode