Slight Bulge in Tank - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAIL View Post
Which ones?
Anything built in Italy, by hand, is far inferior to something machine built in any other country.

Decent designers tho....
you smoke a lot of crack?

http://www.creativeart.it/immagini/home//1.jpg

http://www.perazzi.it/catalogo/incisioni/94/all#

a machine didn't finish that

Fabbris are nice too

the Belgians do some nice hand work too.....Lebeau Courally

http://www.lebeau-courally.com/publi...n730x335px.png

the French do good work also......Darne;

http://www.fusildarne.com/images/acceuil.jpg

here is mine a Darne/Bruchet serial #001

http://www.fusildarne.com/images/r15.jpg

you want to see hand work? find a Peiper Damascus Barrel pattern sample....look for Etoile 3. B.P., a snake like pattern of rows of stars

there is one in the Remington Museum.....
and pictures of it in Charles Semmer's book

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Established Member

I should have been more specific. I was referring to their automotive industry, not one off pieces of artwork.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM

Wink one offs?

Quote:
I should have been more specific. I was referring to their automotive industry, not one off pieces of artwork.
these are standard production pieces you order the engraving by catalog pattern number

have you even seen a hand made car?......look up California Metal Shaping

ever been to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum?

there is a Northrop Alpha hanging from the ceiling,
http://www.nasm.si.edu/images/collec...144000CP05.jpg

that's not the way it looked originally.....
it was maroon with an Indian head on the sides done in red, black, white and gold leaf
it didn't have wheel pants either

see the wing root and empennage fillets? they wrap all the way around.
each is made from one piece of metal, roughed out on a shot bag with a wooden mallet. they were finished to shape on a Carter Crowner
no filing, grinding or sanding allowed at all by Jack Northrop

my Father made them and they are perfect......think about the shape,
1st its a reverse compound curve
and starting at the front all 3 radii increase at different rates

the plane in the Smithsonian doesn't have an ID tag......but, i have one

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
email, PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Established Member

I'm no art connoisseur but it can't only be the Italian auto industry that is rubbish....

Anyway even more specifically my comment was directed at Ferrari, Maserati, lamborghini, Mv Agusta and Ducati. (don't have much exp with Alfa or fiat so I'll leave them out)
Their attention to detail, fit and finish and general all round presentatiOn is appalling and it's due to the fact they're assembled by ppl that give no fuck because it's not theirs.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Wink ?

Quote:
I'm no art connoisseur but it can't only be the Italian auto industry that is rubbish....

Anyway even more specifically my comment was directed at Ferrari, Maserati, lamborghini, Mv Agusta and Ducati. (don't have much exp with Alfa or fiat so I'll leave them out)
Their attention to detail, fit and finish and general all round presentatiOn is appalling and it's due to the fact they're assembled by ppl that give no fuck because it's not theirs.
I don't know why you have such a chip on your shoulder about the Italian auto industry (bikes aren't a part of it)

played with Ferraris, Masers, Lancias, Alfas and my Abarth, no Lambos though

99% of the time its a driving machine, all the controls in the right place......with carbs, never had driving issues, great brakes, transmissions and handling

Bodies are straight, i don't see bad interiors....engine compartments are clean;
http://www.rmauctions.com/images/car...12_r310_03.jpg

even on Abarths LOLOL
http://www.rmauctions.com/images/car...12_r407_03.jpg

mine is cleaner but it has a big full flow oil filter in there too
it came with an FIA race muffler and rollcage, i don't expect it to be quiet......but with gumballs on a short course its more fun than a barrel of monkeys.....there is now a stop sign at every corner around the local golf course......i wonder why?

ASSAIL, hand work?
you want gold jewelry? you go to the Italians, been that way for 3,000 years, the Etruscans were making fused micro bead stuff in 800BC that they didn't figure out how they did it until ~50 years ago!
the center of gold work in the World is Ponte Vecchio in Firenze, the center of the Renaissance in Europe

you want fabric? Firenze
Men's suits? Italy
Women's shoes and hand bags? Italy
any thing leather? Italy
they are even giving the Swiss a hard time with watches
you want high end shotguns?
Brescia, Gardone Val Trompia......thats about it, period, the French, English and Belgians do some of the best but most come from one valley in Italy..... here look it up;
http://www.earmi.it/armi/database/indirizzi.htm

I'm not even vaguely Italian, but, i know a few

i have 3 Italian bikes 2 MVs, 1 Aprilia and one Italian car....
i will always have 2 MVs and that Aprilia

why? the visceral feel, the sound and the lines

it the auction i posted earlier about the CC, lot #301 est 20-24k Euros, i wouldn't be interested at 10K

if it was red and silver i'd watch it

lot #330 64 250GT Lusso est 620-680k Euros, my favorite car of all time. I wouldn't go (if i won the lottery) 100k because its Nigerianed(Randy would say LeRoyed up) up in METALLIC BLUE with a black interior;
http://www.rmauctions.com/images/car...12_r350_01.jpg

now you find me a red '64 Lusso with a natural interior......like my ex-friend Jim had, because the POS didn't call me to say he was selling it......(and i win the lottery), we'll be talking

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
email, PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Established Member

i work on ferraris and maseratis every single day.... if you saw some of the things that get passed qc at factory i promise you there is no way you would ever consider buying one.
The only reason i havent burned my bike to the ground is because i fix it myself, i knew i was buying junk before i bought it, i just didnt realise how bad it would be.

Worked at porsche for a few years prior and the difference is night and day
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I have arisen from parts unknown to say that FINALLY after a 2+ year wait (warranty submitted in April of 2012) my new "improved formula" fuel tank is being replaced on my 2011 red/silver 1090RR. I dropped it off at the dealer this past Saturday & actually got to see the new tank in the flesh (I had to touch it just to make sure I wasn't dreaming). I'm taking no chances & told them to seal the inside of the new tank before it's installed.
Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:54 AM
Established Member

Hm, this strikes a chord with me. A couple of years ago I owned a Triumph T509 (still got it) and a T595, both with plastic tanks. The T595 Daytona had some bulges along its left flank and research suggested that it was related to the ethanol petrol (5%) used in the UK. So the T509 was older by a couple of years older yet the tank was flawless. The only difference was that the T509 was used almost daily, the T595 being for sunny day ride outs.

I'm of the opinion that as ethanol is hygroscopic, the fuel in the standing tank absorbed water and that had the impact on the plastic tank. The regularly used T509 had a constant supply of fresh fuel so didn't stand long enough to absorb water.

I decided to line the inside of both tanks to prevent any further damage. I'm in the UK so used a proprietary product called Flowliner armour coat.

http://www.cwylde.co.uk/section.php?xSec=5

In preparation, I removed the T595 tank, drained it and hung it up in the garage to 'dry' out. Due to circumstances the tank ended up hung in my garage for 6 weeks before I could eventually get round to installing the liner. It was at this point that I noticed that the bulges in the tank had shrunk and were barely noticeable. I added the liner and when I sold the bike a year later the bulges had not returned nor were any new ones detectable. One other thing I should add is that due to the damp we suffer, I have a dehumidifier in my garage and purely by chance the tank was hung directly over it.

I'm not saying for definite my conclusions are accurate, just my experience.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

So I got my 1090RR back with the newly installed tank, though not without one small oddity. The striping on the old tank was burgundy/graphite (large stripe/ small stripe respectively). The new tank has a large graphite stripe with a small red stripe. I did not notice it when I first saw the new tank & I certainly was not going to send it back to be repainted. i'm fine with the new look!
I don't know why the picture of the new tank is upside down, but you get the idea.

Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Sorry, you've got me mixed up with someone else. Never had a Monster. Not sure who else has a similar avatar to mine, but I've not been on the site for quite some time.
Cheers,
Glenn

x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode