post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Established Member

Yes, pictures please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Ok here is the best picture I have.

You can see one of the bulges where I am pointing. Another is around 5 O'clock from where I am pointing. And the 3rd, though harder to see & actually the largest, is where the left "R" in the 1090RR logo is.
Here is a great picture of the tank on a 2012 RR1090 posted by pascalmarius on his "Jumped on the bandwagon thread" & I see no evidence of bulges on the tank. It looks smooth as silk. Love the color scheme, btw

Jumped on the bandwagon ...
I have no doubt that this is not normal & hope that MV will take care of it. I'm not expecting miracles as I expect this to take some time, I just want to know that when I look at my Brute, I am looking at "Motorcycle Art" & not of the Salvatore Dali abstract type either!
Cheers,
Glenn

x

Last edited by G21090; 04-19-2012 at 05:29 PM.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Yeah, replacement tank coming your way for sure. Interesting to note Ducati's latest offerings have metal tanks. I think this ethanol Fuel is causing havoc in plastic fuel tank design. I don't think this is any bad reflection on MV Agusta yet, it seems to be a one-off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Established Member

Hmm...

That would be hard to overlook at delivery... I doubt it was there at the time. do keep us in the loop...

I'm bout' to have Motowheels coat my second tank on my Streetfighter... Wonder if i'll have to send the Brute' tank out too?

I drain my tanks over the winter since the swelling incident on my first Ducati tank. No issues so far...

Last edited by jones525; 04-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I do believe the bulges have been there all along. I believe my initial excitement caused me to have blinders. After waiting the better part of two years for my dealer to finally get a Brutale, I was pretty amped up when I saw it in the flesh. Sometimes you just don't see that awkward mole on a beautiful lady
Additionally, there is nothing that the bike has been exposed to since I bought it last September that would have caused this. No extreme temp changes, fuel spills, splashes, etc. They are not that easy to see, unless you catch them in the light/angle.
I will keep you all posted on the progress.
Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Ok, I got the word back from the service manager at my dealer & here's what he said. MV is going to replace the tank, but they are asking for time. They do have a few original tanks in stock , but the wish to keep those for emergency replacements, fuel leaks & other "safety" related concerns. MV is actually working to make improvements to the tank & will ship a new tank when they come available. I know this will take some time so I will be patient. In the meantime it is not as if I'll be without my bike.
Additionally I had asked about getting my mirrors (under warranty) upgraded to the 2012 style mirrors, and it was approved. It should take a couple of weeks to get the parts in to make the change over to the new style mirrors. The new mirrors are fixed in the housing, so no more popping out, wiggling, excessive vibration, etc. Not to mention they offer improved visibility.
I will keep you all posted as I get updated.
Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Established Member

Good to hear...

MV responded quickly!

My tank seems to be ok, but the glass in my mirrors is not as tight as it should be. I'll adjust it and they'll sag down over the course of the ride... It would be nice to receive a set of 2012 mirrors as well.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21090 View Post
MVs are noted for their "fit & finish" as well as "attention to detail
Which ones?
Anything built in Italy, by hand, is far inferior to something machine built in any other country.

Decent designers tho....

Also get it in writing that the factory will replace the tank under warranty. I think ull be fine but better to be safe than sorry.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones525 View Post
MV responded quickly!

My tank seems to be ok, but the glass in my mirrors is not as tight as it should be. I'll adjust it and they'll sag down over the course of the ride... It would be nice to receive a set of 2012 mirrors as well.
As far as the mirrors go MV is aware of the problems with the MY10-11 mirrors, as I learned on this forum. I told my dealer about it & asked them to submit a claim to replace them with the upgraded mirrors. I know of at least one other member on this forum (racasey) who had his MY10-11 mirrors upgraded, under warranty, to the new style. So if you want the new style mirrors, go to your dealer & ask them to contact MV about getting them replaced.

Cheers,
Glenn

x
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAIL View Post
Which ones?
Anything built in Italy, by hand, is far inferior to something machine built in any other country.

Decent designers tho....

Also get it in writing that the factory will replace the tank under warranty. I think ull be fine but better to be safe than sorry.
True, machines are more precise than a human hand could ever be, but I don't think these tanks are hammered & rolled by hand. I'm sure they are made by some sort of injection molding process. This is simply an example of a manufacturing process gone wrong. Be it initially & not caught at inspection, or due to poor materials that caused the bulges over time. I hope for the prior as I hate to think this is going to be a problem for a multitude of MY10-11 Brutale owners.
I will take your advice & get the warranty replacement offer in writing. Or at least have my dealer forward me whatever email communication he has had with MV.

Cheers,
Glenn

x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode