TV 800 questions - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marko G.
  • 1 Post By J_Spec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
TV 800 questions

Ok, so I just picked up my "brand new" TV this weekend (was a demo model with 3100 miles on it) and I have some tech questions starting from biggest worry to smallest niggle.

Fuel coming out of the filler cap key hole while riding: noticed this today while riding. I was told not to overfill the tank, so I didn't. I got the fuel to just above the little plastic guard arms (the mercedes emblem looking part) and stopped. Still too much? It only took 3.4 gallons and I was at a quarter of a tank when I filled up.

Choppy idle after starting: This has only happened once (about an hour ago), so I'm not sure what to make of it. Bike was a bit low on fuel (1/4 tank) and had been sitting in the shade for about two hours (it's 102 degrees and quite humid today). Went to start it up to head to lunch and it wouldn't idle, just died repeatedly. Also getting some louder pops from the exhaust like there's too much fuel being supplied and it's pooling in the cylinders. Makes me worry as the fuel pressure regulator has failed on my F4 a few years ago and flooded the system with fuel to the point where fuel was dripping out of the headers.

Clutch doesn't grab until way out in the lever travel: I have the clutch adjusted all the way in and it doesn't seem to grab until the last few cm of the travel. I'm used to my very grabby F4 clutch (which I love), so again, is this normal? I know it's a more luxury oriented bike, so it may just be what it is?

Compression adjustment on the shock: how the hell do I access this thing? Is it a flat-head adjuster, or allen wrench? If allen wrench, is that what the tiny allen is for that is stored under the pillion seat?

Excessive brake dive: I've mostly got this sorted by adjusting preload and compression on the forks, but it still feels like a lot. Again, could just be that I'm not used to the bike yet.

Cush drive has about 1mm of play forward and back: put the bike up on my paddock stands last night and noticed that, when I rock the rear wheel forward and back, the drive noticeably moves.

Thanks for any insight!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 PM

1. Fuel coming out of the filler cap key hole: My TVL does not do that.

2. Choppy idle after starting: Try to get fuel somewhere else. My TVL happens to be very fuel sensitive.

3. Clutch doesn't grab until way out in the lever travel: Mine does the same thing. Very little clutch lever travel is required to operate the clutch. I consider this a good thing.

4. and 5. Compression adjustment on the shock + excessive brake dive: My TVL has electronic suspension, sorry can not help you here. Electronic Skyhook suspension has very effective anti-dive.

6. Cush drive: Not normal. If you look at your cush drive (hub/sprocket assembly) from the right side of the bike you will see the cush drive rubber inserts. Rotate the wheel to inspect them all. Most likely you will notice that at least one of your rubber inserts is broken.

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso
2014 Ducati Monster 1200S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:20 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Spec View Post

Excessive brake dive: I've mostly got this sorted by adjusting preload and compression on the forks, but it still feels like a lot. Again, could just be that I'm not used to the bike yet.

Yeah I've always had the same problem with front diving and rear squatting, I may have found part of the problem on the front end. When I was having a fork seal replaced the tech showed me the cause of the knackered seal, it was caused by 3-4 pits and bubbling on the chrome on the rear of the fork stanchion which is hidden until the fork is on full travel (manufacturing error) obviously MV have refused the initial warranty claim ( they claim its stone chips on the rear of the stanchion which is hidden in normal use) although it has since been resubmitted so hopefully they sort it out.

Thanks for any insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the insight, fellas.

I'm going to call the dealership today in regards to the filler cap leaking fuel. It's very odd as the seals look fine, but there will be a little pool of fuel in the recess where the key hole flap sits after just a short ride.

As for the choppy throttle, I think it may have to do with the heat. It only does it after it has been sitting in the heat. Fuel here is good and I only go to top-quality gas stations.

Clutch travel issue... Maybe I can sort this with custom levers? I just much prefer the grab point to be closer to the grip. Feel like it's way out at the end of the stroke which I really don't like, especially with having to really give it some beans to get going. Unfortunate side effect of hydraulic clutch is you can't adjust the grab point, just lever throw.

Brake dive has mostly been sorted with preload. I'm 6'3" 225 lbs geared up, so there's a lot of weight to get thrown around up high. Just a symptom of the type of bike. Just gonna have to get used to it. My F4, this is not.

Also going to talk to them about the cush drive. A bike with 3100 miles shouldn't have that much play. I've never replaced the cush drive on the F4 and it doesn't have an iota of play. Then again, quality differences. Idk, I'll talk to them.

I'll also take a close inspection of the fork stanchions. I really hope mine aren't pitted.

2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM

New Site Garage
My TV has now just over 1100miles (must get out more- too many toys!) and the cush drive is also rather sloppy /similar movement. It was like this when it went in for its 1st service and dealer said nothing regarding it? it will be interesting to see what the response is regarding this though I understand (possibly incorrectly) that cush drive rubbers are wear and tear items so not covered by warranty (regardless of how short a life they seem to have).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
My TV has now just over 1100miles (must get out more- too many toys!) and the cush drive is also rather sloppy /similar movement. It was like this when it went in for its 1st service and dealer said nothing regarding it? it will be interesting to see what the response is regarding this though I understand (possibly incorrectly) that cush drive rubbers are wear and tear items so not covered by warranty (regardless of how short a life they seem to have).
Yeah, I'm not looking at them as a warrantied part as they are definitely wear and tear, but with such low mileage, they wear out WAY too fast. 1100 miles on yours and you had play? Unless you're stunting the bike every day, there's no reason they should have so much play. I'll post what they say after I speak with them.

2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
Ok, so after speaking with the dealership, they said they have two TVs in the back that were in for service. They tested the cush drives in the same manner I did and said they both have about 1mm of play fore and aft. Most likely an intentional move by MV to decrease chain lash and smooth out the quick shifts for luxury's sake. Makes sense to me, really.

As for my fuel and idle issues, they think my charcoal canister was flooded due to expansion during my trip home as the bike was in an enclosed trailer for several hours with a full tank of fuel. Will be working with them tomorrow over the phone to remedy this.

2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 AM

New Site Garage
Toping fuel over that plastic guard (Mercedes amblem) will result in overflow through filler cap key hole especially during hot days.
Choppy idle - could be fuel or battery maybe. I don't have this issue.
Clutch is like that. Get used to it, it's fun.
Shock adjustment - try different settings, mine had too much dive during braking so I increased preload.
Cush drive - I think 1mm is normal.
Regards!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gero HH likes this.

Turismo Veloce 2016
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the insight! Next time I'll keep the fuel level below the plastic guard.

Gonna take a while to get used to the clutch. I don't like the grab point to be so far out in the throw.

Preload is set front and back. Now I just need to fine tune compression and rebound. Still can't figure out how to access the compression adjuster on the shock, it's tucked up behind layers of bodywork.
Red800 likes this.

2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode