Another Sprag clutch gone... - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Another Sprag clutch gone...

Is MV ever going to fix this issue? Wonderful bikes with this huge Achilles' heel.
The bike is always plugged in when not in use, 5200kms the sprag lets go.
I am very concern with the amount of time it will take for MV to get this resolved. This is another Dragter at the dealer with the same problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will post here any updated on the matter.

Toronto, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 AM

New Site Garage
They have uprated it but whether it's still good enough or not is another matter. I must say I think I must have been lucky with mine. 24,000km on the Dragster and not a hint of sprag issues (touch wood) and my bike isn't on the tender all the time. I did get rid of the original junk battery though for a Yuasa. Hope you get yours sorted soon.

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
If you do not have your parts in a week, call MV North America parts and get an update. The guys name is Ian and he works out of Georgia. Some dealers will just wait. I waited five weeks and my part was in a warehouse in Pennsylvania. I found it and got it to my dealer in two days.
Jogort likes this.

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Fingers crossed 8000 nmiles, no sprag issues. But I have a spare 3rd gen one in the cupboard just in case!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:46 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maser View Post
Is MV ever going to fix this issue? Wonderful bikes with this huge Achilles' heel.
The bike is always plugged in when not in use, 5200kms the sprag lets go.
I am very concern with the amount of time it will take for MV to get this resolved. This is another Dragter at the dealer with the same problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will post here any updated on the matter.
You should check out the other large thread with several pages and lots of pictures which detail how to perform the sprag replacement yourself. In it, we now have identified at least 3 different versions of the sprag gear assembly. The real problem is, and mitchy can confirm this, is when the assembly is taken apart you can see where the sprags themselves make contact with the inner part of one of the main gears. Over time it is this action which causes the slipping.

I'm no metallurgist or mechanical engineer, but I think I remember everyone agreeing that the assembly itself is just too undersized for the engine.

2015 F3 800
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 05:20 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I'm no metallurgist or mechanical engineer, but I think I remember everyone agreeing that the assembly itself is just too undersized for the engine.

Which would suggest these revisions are just hopeful workarounds and in reality only an engine redesign will really solve the problem.

Bet that makes for interested design meetings? When the plans for the new Dragster RVS were being thrown around I wonder if anyone mentioned the "elephant in the room"?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 05:27 PM

New Site Garage
Just something to check: does the fuel overflow line on the left side of bike go to the evap/charcoal cannistor on the left? It should not. After sprag tsb and ensuring correct fuel evap/overflow connections I've had flawless starts and I daily drive this thing. I start it 5 times daily when I take it. About 2K miles at this point on newest sprag version.

If hoses are not correct fresh fuel will enter throttle body. Not nice for sprag.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Hi to everybody!I have a Rivale since 01/14 and 7300km! 1st sprag clutch gone 07/14 at about 2000km, 2nd gone 11/15 at about 5000km and the last 3rd one week ago!Every sprang clutch has defferent symptoms when starting the bike!Battery is changed with a li-on!Maps updated!Bike is out of warranty!The dealer told me that he will try to order and replace the sprag clutch due to a ''good will''!As Spark says ""I'm no metallurgist or mechanical engineer, but I think I remember everyone agreeing that the assembly itself is just too undersized for the engine.""I dont here same continiously problems at Yamahas and Triumphs 3cylidens engines! Now i wonder If ever MV will fix the problem?It is dissatisfaction for the company!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrys409 View Post
If you do not have your parts in a week, call MV North America parts and get an update. The guys name is Ian and he works out of Georgia. Some dealers will just wait. I waited five weeks and my part was in a warehouse in Pennsylvania. I found it and got it to my dealer in two days.
Hey man,

care to help a brother out ?

I have a 2016 dragster rr that's had a sprag clutch on order since like last november.

Montreal dealer claims they aren't getting any news from MV agusta.

Who the heck do I call ? Bike has 2500 km's and barely starts!

Parts in canada are becoming an issue... my left rear flasher is useless, and so is my left mirror...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 AM

MV has an issue with parts!My parts take over a month from Italy to Greece!I 'm waiting for a rear left light from the beggining of last moth,and they told me thah it was out of order!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode