TV Rearwheel / Muffler removal - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
TV Rearwheel / Muffler removal

Ok, I picked up a nail in my rear tire. So I ordered new tires, and now I am running into the issue of pulling the rear wheel off. As some probably know, I have to pull the muffler off to get clearance to get the wheel off the bike.

So I look up the the shop manual, 3 need to be removed before the muffler can can slide free. The one on the right passenger footpeg, no problem. The one on the left, unusual, but I got it removed.

The last screw on the right is ridiculous. Let me first say Here is the exact wording from the shop manual. "Remove the fastening screw (1) on the left side and the corresponding screw on the right side."

Now the manual provides a picture of the left side, with a box end wrench/spanner what ever you want to call it in your neck of the woods holding the nut in place while you spin the allen head screw out of the center of it.

I have included a picture from the shop manual for the left nut, and a picture of the nut on the right side holding the muffler on.

Now to my question. How do you get anything on the nut to hold it in place while you turn the internal screw. There is no clearance behind that bracket, which I can not remove because it is what the center stand is attached to. There isn't enough room around it to get anything that will hold it in place. I must be missing something completely stupid.

Any suggestions?

For what it is worth, I wasn't planning on replacing my muffler, because I actually like the stock exhaust sound. But this is just ridiculous to have to do all this just to replace a rear tire.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 PM

If you remove only the outer trims of the exhaust (the 3 square outer tubes), would that provide enought clearance to get the wheel off?

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:24 AM

New Site Garage
You need a cranked ring spanner, my local tool supply shop had just the right one. A Beta tools double ended deep offset ring spanner 90 18x19mm.

Tyre change for me early next week, however, with the HP Corse Hydro Tre exhaust I'm hoping that removal of the silencer to perform this task is a thing of the past, certainly looks like it. Seems like something of a design error to provide a single sided swing arm and sexy single wheel nut and then block removal of the wheel with the exhaust...

Chas
MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:24 AM

I had my tyres changed to PR4's 2 weeks ago. The chap at the tyre shop removed the rear wheel without doing anything to the exhaust system.

As I remember it he put the bike on the center stand, removed the nut, dropped the wheel vertically down and then slid it out. The key I think is to let the air in the tyre out first. Similarly dont inflate the tyre till you have it on.

Hope that helps. Robin
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
My tire was flat from a puncture. Made no difference. There isn't enough height to drop the wheel down. I tried that. I even tried using a flat jack to lift the bike higher then the center stand would raise it. None of that would work.

However! I did find a solution yesterday after talking to a mechanic friend. Pass through sockets. a socket that is driven by a external driver instead of the traditional post driver. Below is a stock photo of a pass through socket.

A trip to the local hardware store before they closed last night at 9, and I had the wheel off and cleaned by 10 pm. Tonight I will pull the front wheel and hopefully by Wednesday I'll be back riding.

I did think about removing the exhaust trim tubes, but they required another specialty tool. I would need Tamper resistant torx, and there was no guarantee it would still fit through.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Next time I go there to change my rear tyre I will remember to take step by step photos of how to remove the rear wheel without removing the exhaust. It can be done. They did it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsor View Post
Next time I go there to change my rear tyre I will remember to take step by step photos of how to remove the rear wheel without removing the exhaust. It can be done. They did it.
Both wheels off my TVL today, just about to drive to tyre place to get my new PR4s fitted ahead of departure for Spain on Friday. Glad to say that the HP Corse Hydro Tre exhaust makes the faff of getting the rear wheel out a thing of the past

Chas
MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 AM

tire change

Just replaced my tires. They had 7500 miles on them. I had my local Yamaha dealer do the work. I am in Kansas city. the closest MV dealer is **737 MILES AWAY FROM ME **. Thought it would be easy job but when I picked it up, they said to get it done, they deflated and broke the bead on the tire. With that it went on just fine. Keep that technique in mind.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORNY View Post
Just replaced my tires. They had 7500 miles on them. I had my local Yamaha dealer do the work. I am in Kansas city. the closest MV dealer is **737 MILES AWAY FROM ME **. Thought it would be easy job but when I picked it up, they said to get it done, they deflated and broke the bead on the tire. With that it went on just fine. Keep that technique in mind.
That is more work then pulling the muffler if you have the correct tools and know what you need to do. Now that I have all the tools I need and know what a wheel removal will take, I could have the back wheel off in less then 5 minutes. I am just surprised at the fact that it is necessary.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:38 AM

I just removed my exhaust from a Lusso version and to get the right side bolt loosened I first removed the center stand. Then you can remove the rearward bolt on the bracket that the center stand was attached to. Then loosen the front bracket mount bolt to swing the bracket completely out of the way to easily allow a wrench to be placed on the right side muffler hanger bolt.

see this image for clarification

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attach...1&d=1494202041

Last edited by Fastspy; 05-19-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode