F3 675 / 800 Head Failure - There is hope! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

F3 675 / 800 Head Failure - There is hope!

Hey Fellas,

Ok, we know that these heads are failing and we thought we had skirted by this issue until recently when a valve in our freshly rebuilt head failed after only 50 miles or so of track riding / practice. Yes, we use our machines exclusively for racing but the reports are coming to me from multiple resources both track and street alike.

I have heard that the newer heads may have changed a couple of things to make them more reliable but until I have more intel on that I am going forward with our own plans. Our engines are 2013 MY so at least the 2012-2013 MY's are affected and quite possibly the 2014-2015 MY's too but as I said, I need more intel.

There have been a variety of reports of failures.
Top of the valve being nipped off by the stock keepers
Valve spring snapping off completely.
Or in our case, the valve snapping off at the bottom.

Any of these failure modes will lead to the same destruction:
1) Valve or valves destroyed (exhaust and/or intake)
2) Head being damaged itself
3) Piston destroyed
4) rod bent
5) cylinder scored
6) Your heart broken
7) Your wallet emptied

We race these things so its not unheard of for us teams to drop engines but I can tell you that this was the first time since we started running 600cc level machines that we have lost an engine. And that's across multiple brands and multiple examples of those brands.

Are we bitter?
Of course not, we look at these things as opportunities and not failures. It takes time and expertise to sort machines out and we have plans to do just that.

The team had already collected a lot of data on these failures so it was no surprise that our turn would come along and it did. Now we are working alongside some industry heavyweights to systematically review every aspect of the head design when compared to other designs and techniques to implement everything we can into one new design that will hopefully put an end to this.

There isn't anything in the F3 heads that are strange or unknown. Its a collection of parts from known vendors in the industry. Like a music group, it takes all members to work harmoniously together to create great music. Engines are the same way and so it is not difficult with all of the experience out there to recognize some common issues that need to be corrected. We have already been able to identify a few and with our partners in this project, we hope to overcome most, if not all of them.

Can the head fail again?
Sure it can but we will be running these engines at over 15,000 RPM on a regular basis and if our motors can withstand that punishment, your street or trackday motors should be in very good shape with the upgrades.

We will divulge more as we approach the first testings of the modifications to the original design. If you already have a failed head, this should be very interesting to you and if you don't have a failed head and don't want one, this should be VERY interesting to you. The cost associated with rebuilding the head to a new spec vs rebuilding the smashed to hell head and the bottom end components will make this very attractive.

So let's use this thread to keep everyone informed and when the new design is ready, we will let you all know. It will be as little as replacing and / or modifying the head for longevity right up to full port and polish design work to get even more HP from your engine.

Here are a couple of photos to make you cringe. This is how our head and piston looked after the valve snapped off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 03:51 PM

Subscribed.

Please sell it as a kit, would be nice not to have to send the head half way across the world and back.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 03:52 PM

Also what is the ETA to your first product being available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
Subscribed.

Please sell it as a kit, would be nice not to have to send the head half way across the world and back.
Unfortunately that will not be possible.

There is precision measurement and machining involved to pull this off.

The best we could do might be an exchange program.
Doesn't help with shipping but would get a rebuilt head on its way back to you asap.

The work is slow due to the various parts that either need to be tracked down or manufactured. We are hoping to have a head completed and in testing on the track around the beginning to middle of February.

Have you already suffered a failure or are you looking at this as preventative?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGRacing View Post
Unfortunately that will not be possible.

There is precision measurement and machining involved to pull this off.

The best we could do might be an exchange program.
Doesn't help with shipping but would get a rebuilt head on its way back to you asap.

The work is slow due to the various parts that either need to be tracked down or manufactured. We are hoping to have a head completed and in testing on the track around the beginning to middle of February.

Have you already suffered a failure or are you looking at this as preventative?
Preventative.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Can't say as I blame you.
The costs associated with repairing the engine after a valve failure are really scary, especially when you add in the labor to do the work!

On top of the parts that need to be replaced, there is also scanning, welding up, then machining the head (if it's salvageable - they usually are). Then the cylinders are nickasil lined so that has to be removed, then the scoring needs to be welded up and repaired and then cylinder has to be re-plated.

Bearings need to be checked and replaced since you have the motor competely torn down and it makes sense, rod bolts need to be replaced, cams need to be checked for damage and the list just goes on and on.

The costs for all of these parts and work is absolutely frightening and then you add in all the labor for a shop that fully understands how to build a MV Agusta F3 engine ........

I already priced out a lot of these parts to get the motor back together and it is substantial. Just the price of a piston or rod bolts will make you gasp.

So I have no intention of putting this back together in its stock form. I was even offered a spare, used motor for way less than it would cost me to do this but turned it down because I would end up in the same position with the same possible failure looming.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:46 AM

Just amazing how similar your failure is to mine. Valve broke in the same exact spot. Keep me updated I need a rebuild.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:16 AM

Your failure looks exactly like mine, I will be waiting for more news on your upgrades impatiently.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Subscribed
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

And Away We Go!!

To both of you that report the same failure, was it the middle cylinder?

There is a lot of investigation that needs to be done here so the more data we have to work from the better.

It would also be good to know what the riding condition was when the valve let go.
Are you street or track guys?
Were you slammin' it or was this general street riding
Did it let go on accel or decel?

Any aftermarket electronics on the bike?
Did you change anything on the bike without putting it on the dyno afterwards?

Again, the more data we can collect, the tighter the investigation becomes.

I told you all that this is real.
These guys are into major repairs to get this fixed - sorry guys.

Bernie

Last edited by ZAGRacing; 12-27-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode