Help needed - Rear Hub/Sprocket rubbing - MVAgusta.net
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: California, USA
Posts: 339
Help needed - Rear Hub/Sprocket rubbing

I need some help as I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. After reading a thread concerning cush drives and feeling like the backend had some play in it, I decided to take a look at my Dragsters rear. What I found was disturbing and advice is needed. All parts are accounted for, nothing is missing.

1. What happened?
2. How could this have been prevented?
3. How can this be resolved?
4. What preventive measures can I take to ensure this doesn't occur again?
5. Is this a warranty issue? Should my dealership have seen this on my last major service less then 3k miles ago?

Any help would be appreciated and I'll answer all the questions any of you have.
Attached Images
     

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR

Last edited by Atom; 12-19-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Atom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:44 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor
 
mitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 4,335
New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Looks like the cushdrive failure.Why are you stripping the bike when the repairs will be covered under warranty?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
mitchy is offline  
post #3 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: California, USA
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Looks like the cushdrive failure.Why are you stripping the bike when the repairs will be covered under warranty?
Would you please explain how this occurs.

I was going to replace the chain and sprockets when I noticed the damage. Since I was already there I thought I'd just remove a few more parts and see the damage.

Is this a warranty repair? I'd love to hear that right now as my dealer is closed till tomorrow.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
Atom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
greminn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Posts: 1,413
New Site Garage
Gosh something really bad has happened with your cushdrives (as mitch has indicated)!

Do you know if your bike is still under warranty with your dealer? If so:

Take these photos to your dealer! If all the work on your bike has been done by your dealer, then this is a clear warranty issue. Note: Why replace the chain and sprockets if your bike is under warranty? (or again as mitch asked, why are you stripping your bike). This type of work may void your warranty.

If your bike is outside of warranty..

Have you done any work on your bike yourself? If so, you might want to let us know so we can assist to figure out how this happened.

Simon

PS: I also note that your bike looks like it needs a wee clean - is this something todo with where you are in world? e.g. state of the roads etc? - I can certainly understand this, as i have mates that live in out of the way places and its sometimes really hard to keep your bike clean. But.. The simple task of maintaining/cleaning your bike could have helped you locate issue before it got bad (sorry not trying to sound "holier than thou", just helping).

Cheers, Simon


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500 (Current)
Kawasaki Z1000 (Sold)
Brutale 910R (Crashed)
Honda VTR 250 (Sold)

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.

Last edited by greminn; 12-19-2016 at 04:36 PM.
greminn is offline  
post #5 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: California, USA
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by greminn View Post
Gosh something really bad has happened with your cushdrives (as mitch has indicated)!

Do you know if your bike is still under warranty with your dealer? If so:

Take these photos to your dealer! If all the work on your bike has been done by your dealer, then this is a clear warranty issue. Note: Why replace the chain and sprockets if your bike is under warranty? (or again as mitch asked, why are you stripping your bike). This type of work may void your warranty.

If your bike is outside of warranty..

Have you done any work on your bike yourself? If so, you might want to let us know so we can assist to figure out how this happened.

Simon

PS: I also note that your bike looks like it needs a wee clean - is this something todo with where you are in world? e.g. state of the roads etc? - I can certainly understand this, as i have mates that live in out of the way places and its sometimes really hard to keep your bike clean. But.. The simple task of maintaining/cleaning your bike could have helped you locate issue before it got bad (sorry not trying to sound "holier than thou", just helping).
My bike is still under warranty and the reason I was replacing the chain/sprocket is because I don't want to pay someone $120.00 an hour to do it.

All the work has been performed at the dealer. Changing the chain and sprocket was going to be the first work I was going to by myself on this bike. Done it many times on several other bikes I've owned.

My bike is always dirty ( needs more then a wee clean ) because its my only mode of transportation and gets ridden at least 3 times or more a day. This past 2 weeks have been particularly ruff because of rain every day but you are very correct in saying that cleaning the bike will help find issues.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
Atom is offline  
post #6 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:56 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor
 
mitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 4,335
New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Cushdrive rubbers.Number 30 in the diagram is normally the issue,unless their has been a bearing failure in the hub.MV have upgraded rubbers now apparently.My advice is put the bike back together and ring your friendly dealer to come and pick the bike up and repair it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
mitchy is offline  
post #7 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
greminn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Posts: 1,413
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
My bike is still under warranty and the reason I was replacing the chain/sprocket is because I don't want to pay someone $120.00 an hour to do it.
But here in lies the issue - if you do change your chain/sprocket, the dealer cannot confirm that you have done it correctly (no offence to you as you said you have done it heaps, just the reality). So therefore deny any warranty claim like this one - as they have not controlled the entire process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
All the work has been performed at the dealer.
Good.. mitchy has it bang on here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Cushdrive rubbers.Number 30 in the diagram is normally the issue, unless their has been a bearing failure in the hub.MV have upgraded rubbers now apparently.My advice is put the bike back together and ring your friendly dealer to come and pick the bike up and repair it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
My bike is always dirty ( needs more then a wee clean ) because its my only mode of transportation and gets ridden at least 3 times or more a day. This past 2 weeks have been particularly ruff because of rain every day but you are very correct in saying that cleaning the bike will help find issues.
Yea - understand that completely. I commute on mine too, but lucky that I have other transport to work and the misses and I also share a car.

Cheers, Simon


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500 (Current)
Kawasaki Z1000 (Sold)
Brutale 910R (Crashed)
Honda VTR 250 (Sold)

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
greminn is offline  
post #8 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Moderator
 
Donsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 21,855
New Site Garage
Cush drive rubber failure won't cause that kind of damage, this is a carrier/spacer/hub issue. I don't see #31, the spacer ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donsy is offline  
post #9 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
greminn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Posts: 1,413
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Cush drive rubber failure won't cause that kind of damage, this is a carrier/spacer/hub issue. I don't see #31, the spacer ?
Oh right - i see what you mean Donsy.

Cheers, Simon


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500 (Current)
Kawasaki Z1000 (Sold)
Brutale 910R (Crashed)
Honda VTR 250 (Sold)

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
greminn is offline  
post #10 of 255 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor
 
mitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 4,335
New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Donsy,have a look at this thread post 21-on.Dragster with cushdrive rubber failure.That is what I looked at to compare the damage.For the hub to fail it would have to be 2 needle roller bearings to start with.If the spacer was missing damage would have occurred very quickly from new.
Atom,where is spacer No.31?

Metal flakes


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy; 12-19-2016 at 09:09 PM.
mitchy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome