Observations on starting - F3 800 - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Observations on starting - F3 800

Assuming full or reasonably full charge (eg ridden in last 48hrs and/or on charger) :
I've noticed that if I switch on and start then all good. But if I switch on and delay maybe 30s (whilst I faff about with lid and maybe clear the trip counter ) it struggles to start.

When you switch it on, it primes the injectors and stuff (I know this cos I put her back together once but forgot petrol pipe - fuel pumped everywhere) - how long do they stay primed for?

Looking back, on the off times I've struggled to start I've pretty much always switched on, reset trip, climbed aboard, hit start.

But if I ever just switch on, wait till "ok" and then hit "go" fires up.

Thoughts people?

Take a chance while you still got the choice.
F3-800 / RVF400. Lancashire, England.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to idahomike
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicguitarist View Post
Assuming full or reasonably full charge (eg ridden in last 48hrs and/or on charger) :
I've noticed that if I switch on and start then all good. But if I switch on and delay maybe 30s (whilst I faff about with lid and maybe clear the trip counter ) it struggles to start.

When you switch it on, it primes the injectors and stuff (I know this cos I put her back together once but forgot petrol pipe - fuel pumped everywhere) - how long do they stay primed for?

Looking back, on the off times I've struggled to start I've pretty much always switched on, reset trip, climbed aboard, hit start.

But if I ever just switch on, wait till "ok" and then hit "go" fires up.

Thoughts people?
I never switch on until I'm fully geared up and sitting on the bike, side stand up, in neutral then - like you said - switch on, "ok", clutch in, start. Never had a problem with either F3.

Life Is Short, Eat Dessert First!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Ninja 650R Candy Plasma Blue (Blue Thing) -SOLD
2013 F3 675 Red/Silver (Velocita) -SOLD
2014 899 Panigale Red (John Wayne)
2016 F3 675 RC #26 (Luisella)
2015 KTM RC 390 Cup
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 05:06 PM

I only find a problem starting when she is cooling down form hot around 15 mins. It took ages to turn over.
I even turned all off and on again.
if I leave it switched of 30 mins or later starts 1st go every time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:59 AM

New Site Garage
Since Day 1 when i first brought mine home, I immediately installed Shorai battery and better ignition cables. I have experienced none of the issues mentioned in this thread. I can leave it turned 'on' and waiting for me for quite a while, hop on and start and she fires right up.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:12 AM

New Site Garage
Correct maniac! If you start right away after the diagnostic is done it hardly fails to start right away. Occasionaly when hot indeed it is harder, but even then it helps to do it like this.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 PM

I am also having starting issues at the moment, but seems slightly different.

As above, if it's dead cold and/or been on charger overnight, seems totally happy, starts up within a couple of revolutions. Given all the other info I've heard in the past I'm always geared up and ready to go before I even turn the bike on.

Couple of days ago I had issue trying to start it after it'd been off for 3+ hours, plugged in since I got home but just wouldn't go, tried so much it ran the battery dry so gave up. Came out the next morning and tried again, fired right up.
Yesterday arrived at work, went in for 30 minutes, headed out to move the bike into the garage once it was open, wouldn't start. Tries to turn off, stops, starts turning over again etc. but doesn't fire up. Go through the full process sitting on the start 4 full times, give up, push it and go back to work. Bring out one of the other staff at the end of the day for a bump if I need one, but fires up straight away in about 3 revolutions. Go home, raining and crap outside to plug it in and leave it.
Come out this morning, fires up right away, all good. Go to work, park it up and leave it, come out to go grab some lunch out the office, bike still warm, won't start, same as yesterday, tries, gets lumpy on the started, stops and never fires.

I am now waiting for the end of the day, and will bring someone for potential bump again but chances are it'll start up right away when cold. I'm still waiting on my new battery, late next week probably, but it's becoming real worrying being my only transportation.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
It does sound like a battery issue. Where in the world are you?
In the UK I got my new battery next day from WeMoto.
Out of curiosity, are you using the standard exhaust?
I mentioned to my dealer that I sometimes had issues starting when the engine was hot - he thought it might be to do with air/fuel/exhaust sensors - and the engine running too lean. The bikes learn from new what their systems expect - he forced my bike to relearn and it has been fine since.

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Taylor
Perfect "Sprag Clutch" syndrome, which I have had on four occasions
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Taylor For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
When mine has struggled to start - I can hear the engine turning over...just not firing.

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcP92 View Post
I am also having starting issues at the moment, but seems slightly different.

As above, if it's dead cold and/or been on charger overnight, seems totally happy, starts up within a couple of revolutions. Given all the other info I've heard in the past I'm always geared up and ready to go before I even turn the bike on.

Couple of days ago I had issue trying to start it after it'd been off for 3+ hours, plugged in since I got home but just wouldn't go, tried so much it ran the battery dry so gave up. Came out the next morning and tried again, fired right up.
Yesterday arrived at work, went in for 30 minutes, headed out to move the bike into the garage once it was open, wouldn't start. Tries to turn off, stops, starts turning over again etc. but doesn't fire up. Go through the full process sitting on the start 4 full times, give up, push it and go back to work. Bring out one of the other staff at the end of the day for a bump if I need one, but fires up straight away in about 3 revolutions. Go home, raining and crap outside to plug it in and leave it.
Come out this morning, fires up right away, all good. Go to work, park it up and leave it, come out to go grab some lunch out the office, bike still warm, won't start, same as yesterday, tries, gets lumpy on the started, stops and never fires.

I am now waiting for the end of the day, and will bring someone for potential bump again but chances are it'll start up right away when cold. I'm still waiting on my new battery, late next week probably, but it's becoming real worrying being my only transportation.
Mate - worry no more - you have a sprag clutch that needs replacement.

I have the exact same symptoms and the dealer is ordering the replacement sprag kit.

Try (as a stop gap measure) to push the starter button in and only then pull the clutch lever in enough to activate the starter through the clutch switch. I find that this helps with starting since there somehow must be more pressure through the gearshafts and onto the sprag clutch when the clutch plates are engaging.

ie - pull clutch in and keep it 'at the friction point' when the switch engages - don't pull it in fully.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeO For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode