Aftermarket Sprag clutch.Interested? - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Aftermarket Sprag clutch.Interested?

I have seen the issues you guys are having with sprag clutches.It's almost as bad as early model rear hubs.
My question is-would you guys be interested in a aftermarket sprag that will not fail.
If you are I would need an owner to post me a damaged sprag clutch so I could show my engineer where is weak point is and re-design the clutch so we can make it indestructible.
If it is possible to re-design it I would need an owner to install the prototype in their bike to test it.I do-not own a F3 so it makes it hard for me to test it.
Just a thought at this stage.
Let me know if you are interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Thanks Mitch,
Great idea and sure if your able will be a great success

F3 800 RC, Yam R1, Yam MT-09,Yam RD400F
post #3 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:28 PM

awesome mate, great idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM

Great idea but are you willing to pay for any damages to the bike from your design?

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR
post #5 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:53 PM

that would be amazing.

Toronto, Canada
post #6 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Great idea but are you willing to pay for any damages to the bike from your design?
Such a positive question would completely enamor anyone trying to be helpful.

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboyk For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:45 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
I have seen the issues you guys are having with sprag clutches.It's almost as bad as early model rear hubs.
My question is-would you guys be interested in a aftermarket sprag that will not fail.
If you are I would need an owner to post me a damaged sprag clutch so I could show my engineer where is weak point is and re-design the clutch so we can make it indestructible.
If it is possible to re-design it I would need an owner to install the prototype in their bike to test it.I do-not own a F3 so it makes it hard for me to test it.
Just a thought at this stage.
Let me know if you are interested.
If you could actually get some aftermarket company to manufacture a superior one that, as you say, would not fail, hell I'll buy one even though my current one isn't going out. I figure it might eventually so may as well get it.
post #8 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Given the OPs history in successfully up engineering a known weak part of MV design, and the fact that he is not ''reinventing the wheel'' but identifying an existing flaw and fixing it, i think that scenario would be unlikely.
The Following User Says Thank You to anyoldiron For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
OK,I am not going to respond to any stupid or negative remarks if I go ahead with this project.I made the mistake of that when I started to make my hubs and got into trouble over it.
If this goes ahead the sprag will be thoroughly tested and proven before it is sold to owners,thats all I am going to say.
With that out of the way I will get serious.
Firstly,I need a F3 owner that will help me to get started,meaning someone that knows the inside of a F3 motor and can tell me what exactly fails with the sprag,and can work with me to re-design it.
I need the answer to some questions.
1/ What models are having issues and are they all running the same part number sprags.
2/How many upgrades has MV done to cure the problem.
3/Why is the F3's having issues and F4's don't,is the sprag clutch different designs.
4/Is MV honouring replacement under warranty even after warranty has expired.
5/What price is a new sprag clutch assembly.
I will need a damaged unit as I have said previously to discuss the problem with my engineer.
I will try my hardest to help you guys because I know how slow MV is in solving problems,look at the rear hubs it took MV 10 years.
Love to hear some feedback,in the meantime I will get some pictures of the sprag clutch and study it.
FL Ogborn likes this.

Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #10 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 12:19 AM
Established Member

Mitchy

I am taking my B3 800rr into the dealership next week - starting problems as like everyone else. Ii will see if I can get the replacement parts from them if / when they end up replacing the sprag (mine shows all the classical symptoms of a sprag clutch failure - except for hard metallic sounds or 'clacks').

my understanding is that they are honoring this under warranty. There was a dealer tech bulletin 2 July 2015 released just before I ordered my bike (I have hopefully attached the jpeg correctly for you to view)

It states

1. Please replace with starting gear kit 8000C2384 if owners have problems starting

I was told by the dealer at time of ordering (this might have been sales bullshit but he has been pretty good and honourable up to now) that my production run was after the implementation of this new kit breakpoint in the factory. If so, poor show.

I will help where i can
Attached Images

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode