MY 2010 Tanks Problems - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 AM

That's my fuel tank in the picture.
It almost doesn't fit on the bike anymore. Totally have to force it on using some leverage to get the tank mount bolts to line-up and that's split the rubber grommet.
A new "PLASTIC" tank from MV is $2240.00 What a joke.
I can get an Aluminum Tank handmade for the same price, and that would take about 4-6 months.
MV is pretending that there isn't a problem. I'm not impressed.
Some Chemist or Rocket-Scientest type might do well to come-up with a solution that counter-acts the damage to the plastic, like drying it out, so it shrinks back to the Original Size, but that sounds like MAGIC, to me, when I Type it.
This is really Not-Acceptable on a $20,000 Motorcycle.

Last edited by Mr. Master; 05-16-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 AM

Thumbs down Not Sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpainF4 View Post
People really don't know what is the cause if it's only happen in USA.
Ones are sure is etanol...anothers not....
Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
It's the Ethanol. It separates and seeps into the plastic, causing the plactic to react unfavorably. This seems to be accelerated in Humid conditions. (like summer, in Georgia).
I'd bet my left nut on it.
What else would it be caused by? (don't even bother).
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

The issue is that they used to warranty replace these... now they don't which sucks @ss. so I guess anyone with a MY2010 and newer bike we just fend for ourselves.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket carbon tank?

----
Those wishing to tame lions should attend carefully the difference between domestication and sophisticated food gathering techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 AM

It is no use to depends on warranty, if it keeps repeating. No peace on mind.

Hmmm, i hope there is someone who will makes an almunium tank for MV

BTW, does carbon safe with Ethanol?
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Tank

Correction: The problem is the tank, not the fuel.

If the original statement was true, MV (Aprila, Ducati) would have never replaced failed tanks under warranty. The one thing we all have going for us is that MV did replace prior tanks under warranty. So, the precedence has been set. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so keep making noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
Here in Europe no problems at all. The problem is not the tank but the fuel.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my10-jakarta View Post
It is no use to depends on warranty, if it keeps repeating. No peace on mind.
MV Agusta should take responsibility for their Plastic tank supplier, who had to have know the issues with the ethanol, because this problem has surfaced before in the U.S. with other manufactures who do warranty their mistakes.

A: U.S. market bikes should have then come with a warning label to not use Ethanol Fuel in their bikes. (without first coating the inside of the tank).

or B: MV should have coated all the Plastic tanks bound for the U.S. before leaving the factory.

If they don't take responsibility for this problem, I tend to regard them as a crooks.

What possible excuse could they have, not to replace it?

Replace mine one time, and I'd use one of the Coatings available before
I ever put any fuel in it, at my own expense.

I would have done this in the first place, If I'd know about the possible problem, as a consumer, it's their responsibility to give this warning, just look at all the other warning stickers that come standard on the bike.

Last edited by Mr. Master; 05-16-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Very depressing.

Coating with what? is it easy to do?

Problem solved after coating?
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Caswell-Gas-Ta.../dp/B001PLM5TC

an aluminum tank is still a better option though. They do them on the old bikes, why not the new????
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Master View Post
MV Agusta should take responsibility for their Plastic tank supplier, who had to have know the issues with the ethanol, because this problem has surfaced before in the U.S. with other manufactures who do warranty their mistakes.

A: U.S. market bikes should have then come with a warning label to not use Ethanol Fuel in their bikes. (without first coating the inside of the tank).

or B: MV should have coated all the Plastic tanks bound for the U.S. before leaving the factory.

If they don't take responsibility for this problem, I tend to regard them as a crooks.

What possible excuse could they have, not to replace it?

Replace mine one time, and I'd use one of the Coatings available before
I ever put any fuel in it, at my own expense.

I would have done this in the first place, If I'd know about the possible problem, as a consumer, it's their responsibility to give this warning, just look at all the other warning stickers that come standard on the bike.
+10000
.....well in Europe (UK) , people said this:

First said:
The tanks problem is with the plastic made by acerbis, it has a problem with ethanol in fuel.
The same as Ducati experienced on the 1098/1198 and others recently.
We do not have the problem here in the uk yet as we still have very low level of ethanol in the fuel,
but that is changing along with the rest of the world.
MV in USA are familiar with the problem as they have had more ethanol than Europe for a few years.
The factory say they are working on a solution, Ducati stopped making plastic tanks!

After said (the same):

I have been doing some reserch on this issue, it is not just a problem for plastic tanks, steel tanks are suffering.
The actual answer is a little more than just blaming the ethanol being added to fuel.
The ethanol is NOT reacting with the plastic, it is the water that the ethanol absorbs.
The plastic used absorbs water, when in contact with it over long periods of time, it then slowly expands.
Steel tanks will rust out in the old fashioned way. The standard advice of toping off the tank for long
term storage is the last thing you should do. These days I would recomend draining it fully, drying
and keeping it away from damp air.
The problem is the petrol and ethanol seperates over time, the ethanol then absorbs water and as
it is then denser than the petrol it will sit in the bottom of your tank. So the problem grows over time, especialy if you
top off your tank on a regular bassis. Most people are aware of how quickly fuel can go "off" these days.
What is hapening is the petrol is fine, but it's at the top of your tank, the water/ethanol mix is at the bottom and
getting into your fueling system.
I can understand manufacturers not wanting to discuss in public why their fuel tanks can't cope with water, their
credibility is going to be questioned if they tell customers the full story.

Interesting !!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawininja View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Caswell-Gas-Ta.../dp/B001PLM5TC

Yup, That's the stuff.

an aluminum tank is still a better option though. They do them on the old bikes, why not the new????
Cost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode